Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
extreme birdhouse builder
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know i am known for building my Extreme Birdhouses but i also used to frame houses , decks and fences for 20 years .

This is a deck and 16 ft gazebo i am working on in my spare time for my son Jamie,s house.

The pool is 24 ft diameter and the wrap around deck is going to be a little over 6 ft wide. Overall length will be 52 ft long.
The entire project will be covered with cedar . I will post progress pics as we go .

This is a before picture taken last winter .

Here is how it looks now ! I still have to add a few more joist to the gazebo .

My son used a 2x4 straight edge as a guild when he screwed the decking down . Better for appearance ;)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Very nice work. In that last photo, your son does appear to be getting ready to moon his old man. Musta grown up on Braveheart?
Steve

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for the progress pics - framing looks good!

(When all is said and done, ya oughta hang a big stuffed bird in the center of the gazebo and take a pic...title it SUPER EXTREME Birdhouse!)

Mac

·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet! Thanks for the progress pics - framing looks good!

(When all is said and done, ya oughta hang a big stuffed bird in the center of the gazebo and take a pic...title it SUPER EXTREME Birdhouse!)

Mac
Thanks again everyone for all the great comments .
Last year after my son bought his house i gave him a large birdhouse for his front yard . I mentioned to him a few days ago that he needs one at the far end of the deck . Maybe about 12 ft away from the deck .

·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isnt that like wrapping a turd in gold leaf?

An above ground pool isnt exactly a permanent structure around here?

It is a sweet deck though!!!
I thought it was a lot of money to spend for a deck around a temporary pool too but it is easy enough to change the liner . If he decides to get rid of the pool he can fill in the center with more wood and maybe a large hot tub .

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Isnt that like wrapping a turd in gold leaf?

An above ground pool isnt exactly a permanent structure around here?

It is a sweet deck though!!!
Perhaps.

However, did you notice there's no fence?

If the pool is 4' off the ground, you don't need a fence.

Great job on the deck, BTW!

·
always building
1,814 Posts
I thought it was a lot of money to spend for a deck around a temporary pool too but it is easy enough to change the liner . If he decides to get rid of the pool he can fill in the center with more wood and maybe a large hot tub .
or Jello and cheerleaders:eek:

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Shazam! Extreme birdhouses and extreme swimming pool/Gazebos!

Though I would either not have water in the pool yet or cutting away from the pool. Maybe the filter will pick it all up. I'm just thinking of the scum it would leave. Warner would say "perfect situation for my TS"

From your gazebo thread, I can only imagine how nice that gazebo is going to look :thumbsup: I'm surprised that you would want to trust someone else with the design and materials list. I would 3D design that to death.

·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks framerman !
My son has been cleaning the filters on a daily basis .
They are probably not going to be swimming in it this summer anyway .

I have done a few gazebo,s in the past but there was nothing fancy about them and they came with a material list .
Since this is for my son i am hoping to make this one a little fancier then most .;)
By the time i get the pool railing done i should have a plan for the gazebo . :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
No doubt it will look great. Excellent work!
Steve

Thanks framerman !
My son has been cleaning the filters on a daily basis .
They are probably not going to be swimming in it this summer anyway .

I have done a few gazebo,s in the past but there was nothing fancy about them and they came with a material list .
Since this is for my son i am hoping to make this one a little fancier then most .;)
By the time i get the pool railing done i should have a plan for the gazebo . :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts