Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
improving homes
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of bidding out a 32'x54' L shaped deck for a restaurant patio. I've done lots of decks before so that really isn't an issue. But never done one for a commercial patio before and I'm betting there are some specific codes/guidelines for these over your typical residential.

Like weight ratings, is there a specific chart for weight ratings and spans for commercial decks like this?

Gates, I'm assuming this will need to be locked from the outside but fire escape push handles from the inside like commercial doors. Also assuming there will have to be ramps at each gate to meet ADA codes.

Anything special about railing requirements?

I probably would pass on this normally but he's a great customer that I've done a lot of work for in the past and the actual building of the deck isn't a problem. Just don't know what additional codes are in place for a commercial patio like this. This will be in Wisconsin and I know there will be different codes for different states/areas but just looking for things you might have run into that I can look into. Thanks

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,026 Posts
Commercial decks are far different from residential.

Guard rails must be 42".

Weight ratings for the ones I've done had to be 100 PSF.

Egress requirements are a big deal, as is ADAAG access.

Read up IBC Section 11B. :thumbsup:

Lighting on the stairs and landings.

Usually, the step edges have to be painted with a bright color (yellow).

Egress signs,

Width might be 42", depending on Occupancy.

Hand rails, possibly both sides.

Attaching a deck to an existing structure will increase the main buildings Occupancy load, so that could trigger all kinds of upgrades, most notably life safety upgrades, like wider/more egress, sprinklers, along with more bathroom stalls, because Occupancy went up.

Just a few things. :blink:

·
improving homes
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. That was exactly what I was looking for. I will do some more reading tonight on what you said. It's not going to be attached to the building. And I'm thinking all ramps and no stairs.

Do you know what kind of lock if any these gates need if they are serving alcohol out there? My guess was a one way fire exit push bar type but that is just my guess. Maybe they only need a spring closure on it and no lock?

Thanks again for the info. It is a big help.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,026 Posts
As far as I know, because my family owns/has owned restaurants and bars, a confined area for the serving of drinks is determined by the local Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.

I would check with them about their requirements.

Check with the Fire Marshall as well for what they might want.

As you'll find in Commercial work, there are so many agencies involved, and so many different codes, that they often conflict.

I'm dealing with this right now in the Wine Bar project I'm doing. California Plumbing Code, and the County Department of Health, which governs Food Service establishments, have conflicting requirements for drains from kitchen fixtures. And the Federal ADAAG guidelines conflict with what the local Historic Preservation Council wants. :rolleyes:

·
improving homes
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotta love that. My first restaurant remodel was like that. I didn't really know the ins and outs and had to eat a lot of changes that the health inspector wanted after she did her pre inspection walk threw. From then on for every restaurant project I did I called the health inspector to do a walk threw with me before we even started so there was no surprises at the end. They love when I do that and makes final inspections pretty much a non issue at all.

Thanks again for the info it gives me a good place to start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts