Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, looking for some help in the fastener dept.... trying to find something less expensive than Tiger Claw, Ipe fasteners, etc. Been thinking about Camo kit?? Any info good or bad is appreciated. Been called for a couple of decks this spring and looking for an easier way. :whistling

·
Do it right!
329 Posts
ever try the crag jig thing for decks?

·
Do it right!
329 Posts
yea they have one just for decks i have not tried it yet tho.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never used the Camo kit, but thought it would be quicker than banging the boards and screwing in those damn "Hidden Fasteners"....

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Thanks, I have seen these before, but have been doing inside jobs for the longest time, will look into price of one.
Talk to your supplier. Ours was free because we bought enough fasteners.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,333 Posts
I have never used the Camo kit, but thought it would be quicker than banging the boards and screwing in those damn "Hidden Fasteners"....
If you decide to buy the camo system don't forget to stop at toys-r-us and pick up a bob the builder nail bag and hardhat.

On a serious note, that thing is a joke. Hardwoods = ipeclip, screw/bung, or colored fastener. Composite = you're kidding yourself if you think there is a better way than tigerclaw gun and clips.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
If you decide to buy the camo system don't forget to stop at toys-r-us and pick up a bob the builder nail bag and hardhat.

On a serious note, that thing is a joke. Hardwoods = ipeclip, screw/bung, or colored fastener. Composite = you're kidding yourself if you think there is a better way than tigerclaw gun and clips.
The Camo works great on Azek. Much better than the proclip system.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks...I think? Haven't done many composite decks with anything other than Hidden Fastener type. Most decks around here are standard PT and nothing fancy, alot of people still have the image of Trex Failures in their head when composite is mentioned.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
It's a good idea to keep close in mind what trex did to the material and the Wallet for so many years.

I have to agree the camo system doesn't work all that well and not at all with South American lumber. IMO. of course .

The tiger claw clip and the tiger Jaw installation tool work well and really after your into it is not all that much time.

You might check out Moisture Shield for composite. Never a class action or a field failure. I went though Their plant this weekend and watched their well thought out cap stock being made. Pretty nice.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,391 Posts
It's a good idea to keep close in mind what trex did to the material and the Wallet for so many years.

I have to agree the camo system doesn't work all that well and not at all with South American lumber. IMO. of course .

The tiger claw clip and the tiger Jaw installation tool work well and really after your into it is not all that much time.

You might check out Moisture Shield for composite. Never a class action or a field failure. I went though Their plant this weekend and watched their well thought out cap stock being made. Pretty nice.

Tell us some more about M/S capstock. I've always liked their product, but most vendors here dropped stocking it. Still have one vendor who stocks it out north of town.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Like Moisture Shield has always done high caliber science and time has gone into it's capstock production.

As the process goes on the composite material is compressed to a very fine grain. Complete encapsulation is accomplished by bringing both the plastic and the wood fibers to just below the flash point then mixing them then rendering the mix to pellets, then going through the extruder at high temperature that builds the cap and the board at the same time.

Really interesting to watch. Same long cooling time accomplished with intricate/fun to watch cooling racks. Eyeball quality control x 7.

The result is a board that can be installed in Any environment with no ventilation / ground clearance requirements . Moisture Shield recommends a simple steel T clip or they can be face fastened .

When I was there MS was running the Graystone color and an Ipe look alike. I have to say as a South American kinda Guy that ipe board looks pretty darn good.

The only down side I could see >> it is a heavy board, much more weight then the regular, because the composite material has been so finely ground and compressed < But it also seems to me to be really strong.

Nice looking stuff.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
For hidden fasteners, I ended up with the TC-G's and the TC-G gun. The gun makes all the difference in the world. Other than having to click each clip to the end of the gun it's about as fast as shooting one toenail per joist. It's fast. I have to use all stainless so there's really no such thing as a cheap option.

I did use the Camo system last summer per a customer's request and it wasn't bad but it was slow. I easily could have shaved 2-3 hours off the decking on a 250 square foot deck using my gun so I don't consider it "cheaper". It was a bit easier on the picture frame as you don't have to deal with slots or Cortex except on the outside edge.

If you're doing any kind of square footage then you should see if FastenMaster can help you out with the TC-G gun or loan you one to try. Greg Hartman is usually on here but I think he's on vacation this week after JLC.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Never used azek as decking, good to know though. I hated the idea and the few times I messed with it, the overall construction, but I am a wood guy.
I hate the Camo with any kind of cap stock because it mushrooms right where you need to space it for the next board. You can see the mushrooming from above as well. With the PVC decking, it goes in nice and smooth.

I bought a few of the tools so me and another guy could each have a few. Each of us would setup 2 over the joists, load them with screws and drive them home, then re position to four more joists and repeat. It actually went very quickly once we got a system going. The spacing is very consistent as well.

We used Fasten Master Cortex for the borders, steps, spots close the house, etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts