Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a couple sizable decks to demo coming up. I've seen a couple decking demo tools posted.

So what is the one to get? Which one works the best?

Thanks, Dave

·
GC/carpenter
43,916 Posts
Hey guys, I have a couple sizable decks to demo coming up. I've seen a couple decking demo tools posted.

So what is the one to get? Which one works the best?

Thanks, Dave
I own two dektools but haven't had a chance to use them. They say it's better then the deck wrecker, which I like a lot.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,456 Posts
I have the deck wrecker and like it. Haven't used anything else.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
No problems with either handles so far.

The advantage I see with the Demo Deck is that it can work from both sides of the decking, either standing on the ex. deck or the framing. The Deck wrecker really only works from the framing side, thus you have to stand on the framing. That's fine if the framing is in decent shape.

·
General Contractor
8,081 Posts
I use Gutster Demo Bar, for all my demo work, tiles, hardwood flooring, underpayment, you name it... IMO its the demo tool on the market.

Got flat sharp ends will get under anything, row of nail extractors right in the back of the tool, take any nail out as you pull up any material, especially decking. :thumbsup:

Click here for more Info

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input guys.

I ended up ordering the deck wrecker. It deffinetly looks like its going to be nicer than my old digging bar method!

That dektool looks nice, I was tempted to order that, but I won't be using it like you deck guys do. So I went for the wrecker, this way I can maybe pick up a new framing nailer:laughing:

Dave

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys.

I ended up ordering the deck wrecker. It deffinetly looks like its going to be nicer than my old digging bar method!

That dektool looks nice, I was tempted to order that, but I won't be using it like you deck guys do. So I went for the wrecker, this way I can maybe pick up a new framing nailer:laughing:

Dave
You'll like the deck wrecker too, the next deck project you get you can order the demodek bar. It's worth having both.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You'll like the deck wrecker too, the next deck project you get you can order the demodek bar. It's worth having both.
I had actually thought about ordering both. I can see how that demodek bar would work almost better than the wrecker, and you can stand on the boards instead of the joists. But one tool at a time:laughing:

Dave

·
GC/carpenter
43,916 Posts
I had actually thought about ordering both. I can see how that demodek bar would work almost better than the wrecker, and you can stand on the boards instead of the joists. But one tool at a time:laughing:

Dave
The head rotates on the wrecker so you can still stand on the deck to demo. Might not be as comfortable as the demodek though.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The head rotates on the wrecker so you can still stand on the deck to demo. Might not be as comfortable as the demodek though.
Ok that's right, luckily these couple decks are ground level I can walk in the dirt if I want. If it was an elevated deck I would be walking on the decking not joists, that's for sure:laughing:

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts