Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer that has a Victorian house, meaning old.

She has a small upper porch going into the upper hallway. The porch floor leaks like a sieve and down on to the beaded ceiling of the lower deck.

I told her the only way to fix it is to remove the 3 inch wide T&G porch flooring boards and see what the problem is then fix it.

She doesn't want to do that, just patch it.

I know there are coatings that will cover the entire porch but I need one that can be painted.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
551 Posts
If you have to go with the "patch it" scenario, I would hit it with some gacodeck. You can't paint it but there are now a variety of colors to chose from.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,580 Posts
Bob, I am wondering.

Did that T&G not leak before ? That is was there a time when it did keep water off the lower area.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com
That's what I was thinking. These normally would have been water tight with grooves run out from the house, and a slight pitch for the water to run out to the edge and off.

Could have gone reverse pitch, mid span sag, busted one or more tongues, ....

·
Registered
Remodel
29,580 Posts
Realistically, if the whole thing is coated to seal it up, the next step will eventiually be to tear it ALL off and throw it out, fix what needs fixing, then put new on. This is an expensive way to go in the long term.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Bob,
My advice, not that you asked for it, would be to walk away if she won't do what you know is correct.....cause once ya touch it, ya own it....
Words of wisdom there^. Not doing a job correctly can bite you hard even if you are doing what the customer asked for. I have seen customers ask for the band aid fix then not pay or sue because of it. I for the most part refuse to do improper work even if the customer is asking for & approving such work. Although if I do end up having to band aid something I always get it put in writing that it is not a proper fix, was requested by the customer, & the work is not held under warranty. I have the customer sign it as if it was a contract also. Never can be too careful nowadays, but th best policy is to walk away from it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are correct and I told her it would NOT fix the problem, only put a Band-Aid on it.
She will be signing a release before I do any coating.

Ii have a lot ore work to do at her house, so my policy iis to tell it like it is.

I suffer from CRS which means I can't remember stuff or something starting with "s".

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John they just noticed it last week when a roofer told them they had the leak.

I had built a pergola beside the house and I did not notice it on the ceiling either. I had sought shelter on the porch during a sudden downpour.

I hope I can convince her husband to do it the right way but she runs the man.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr. Davis you too are correct. I explained that to her also.
Even though I have done quite a bit of work for them and have a lot lined up with them, this could be one of those gotchas. I will record our next conversation so we all stay honest in what we think the other person said.

The porch is only about 4 feet deep and probably falls about 1-1/2 inches in that distance. I would hate to try sitting in a wheeled chair on that porch.

The porch is covered but since it is not very deep there is not much water prevention.

I really appreciate all of your comments, even you Brian old buddy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John talking about T&G not being water tight, I agree.

However I would think that even 30 or 40 years ago whoever built it used some sort of underlayment but with time that may have dissolved depending on what they used if anything.

·
Registered
624 Posts
You know the risk of doing band aid work.

It sounds like a good client, I would do my best to maintain the relationship by providing both quality and value. I would investigate the issue and find a root cause. If it's a small balcony, the proper repair shouldn't be too expensive. The last thing you want is to end up saying "I told you so" and spoiling the relationship and take money out of your pocket down the road.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
If she just wants a coating over it then you might try something like Deck Over. I've used it before. It's okay stuff. Has no sheen to it so it gets dirty easily, but it goes on easy and is thick like sour cream so it can fill in small cracks and holes. It might be the fix she's looking for to tide her over a couple years before she can have you do it right.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Check out AllDeck and similar products - the mesh or other fabric elevates them way past the liquid only membranes. They're more expensive, though.

How do you know that the water's actually going through the deck? Maybe it's going in behind the door casing, or some other entry point, and working its way down to the deck framing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts