Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good customer that I will be doing a lot of work for this spring and part of the work involves making the existing deck look much better. I am going to put in a new stairway and all new posts and railing. I was playing with applying one of the new deck coatings to make the structurally ok PT deck look much better.
There are some two part epoxy and other coatings that fill checks and nail indentations , create a slip resistance surface and last forever. - According to the product literature. I have never used any of these products nor have I ever seen them on a deck and am looking for information and recommendations from anyone who has used any of these products.
Thanks
Bill T

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,386 Posts
I'm sure most of us here have seen the ads for this stuff. No one wants to be the test case or use their customer for one. With that said I'd be careful using an unknown product for someone who you hope to do a lot of work for.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deckman
I agree with you that is why I am looking for someone that has used it or has seen it used.
Bill T

·
Artist and not a curator
14,332 Posts
Deckman
I agree with you that is why I am looking for someone that has used it or has seen it used.
Bill T
Do them a favor a replace the deck with a long lasting beautiful product... Trying to polish a turd makes a mess and makes you look bad. If they don't want checks, splitting, cracking, twisting another material should be used.

I've seen a dock with that stuff on it, I think it was the one way to make pt look worse, bright orange with what looked to be sawdust in it.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
We just tore one down. They used it to buy a couple years till they could replace it with what they wanted.

Roof Wood Room Shed Shack

I thought I had some other pictures on my phone, but they must be on my camera.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Robert
This customer just wants to make the existing deck look good until they replace it with what they really want. They are spending a lot of money on other work and replacing the entire deck is not an option at this time.
The one picture that you do show makes the deck look ok. How did it look actually and how long ago was it done and what product did they use. What was the customers opinion of the coating? Did they change the deck because the coating did not hold up or for another reason?
Thanks
Bill T

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Let the customer pick a coating based on appearance, and make sure they understand it won't last or protect the deck at all, just help it look nicer until it completely falls apart.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
I believe it was a couple of years ago, I was surprised at how the coating looked, it was ugly but not as ugly as the wood deck. I expected to see peeling and water logged decking but I didn't. I think it's an option to make something look a little better for a couple of years as long as the structure has enough life left in it.

These products target homeowners with the thought that "all that matters is the looks" instead of the structure. I can't count how many people I've talked with that want to reskin a deck with a failing frame.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Robert
Thank you. The frame work on the existing deck is still in good shape. This customer will replace the deck within the next five years with a nice composite deck.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,220 Posts
A bit late to the thread, but I have a neighbor who used one of those products. It looked fairly decent for 2-3 years, but then began to wear and look even worse than the original untreated wood.

Expensive, a bit of a pain to apply, and it would take skin off if you rubbed against it. Not worth it, IMO.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tinsataafl
Thanks for the response. That is the type of information I was looking for.
That paint is expensive and if it only lasts a couple of years than it will pay to remove the old decking and replace it with new pressure treated lumber that will be good for seven to ten years.
By then the whole deck will be removed and a new, larger, composite deck will be installed.
Bill T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts