Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I would not spend a dime on it either.

It's always " virtually ". I agree , it's for the most part, Just about, in effect though not in fact, almost wholly, just about.

It's too slick, too shinny , too just Fake looking no matter how much work is put into the install.

Moisture Shield is...warm, colorful, nice to walk on, feels good to touch and long lasting.

J.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,879 Posts
Still looks like plastic fake wood to me.
Its hilarious how we all get along for a year then someone states something about plastic and we devolve to John making rap songs about how not only the product but the people who install plastic suck.

Plastic is plastic no wood guy is never ever going to say its as good as good wood. My only problem is the plastic has still only been out for 5-7 years... I've got maple that has made it outside that long. ALL plastic breaks down in the sun, its chemistry.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts

It's always " virtually ". I agree , it's for the most part, Just about, in effect though not in fact, almost wholly, just about.

It's too slick, too shinny , too just Fake looking no matter how much work is put into the install.

Moisture Shield is...warm, colorful, nice to walk on, feels good to touch and long lasting.

J.
Of course it's virtually no work, you still have to sweep it and hose it down, just like anything in life. Stop acting like my 7 year old with stupid little comments like that. Grow up and have an adult conversation Jon. And if you have the nuts to be proved wrong PM me your address and I'll ship you samples for YOU to test in your own special way.

HOWEVER the owner has spend ZERO time staining, sanding, scraping, or painting anything on it. They have paid ZERO dollars to have someone stain, sand, scrape, or paint it.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Rob is bad, He never sad, Best deck builder the world ever had.

Lives in the Sky, where the heat is close, Everybody says he get the most... of all of Us, even on the Coast.

He be a sight to see when Hes picking on me, He calls it piss but its really not, it's the fumes from all that plastic snot that messes with his mind, makes Him unkind, He never backs down ,even with the Killer,but the truth be know they come from the same quiver . Both sharp pricks but we love em anyway cause without em the cap stock would go away.

JonMon
this thread is getting good. I'm snowed in and frozen today. It almost never get's old.

I tool use the hell out of MS I gotta tell ya I'm big fan. I built a 1500sf over the summer and the hide away clip grooves were off. They were favoring one side ( not centered) so when you flipped the board to the cleaner side the clips didn't exactly lines which a good amount of fussing. After calling and cursing there quality control dept they offered to replace the entire lot of them and throw me a bone for my troubles. This job required a 7story crane and could not it back for 2-3weeks. I passed on the replacement load manned up installed it. I sent a invoice for the additional hrs it took to install and then sent a check.

Also for Rob's sake cap or or any other prefab deck co won't warrant my ground deck I mean roof deck environment.

Austin deck how are they charging you down there? They mfg plant is in Arkansas and shipping can't be that much more then me.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

J.
Hey J, how long have been laying MS?

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I took the Moisture Shield tour in 04, put down the decking that same year Yanni.

Really for a Man in this kind of work selling manmade had become mandatory , I resisted it as long as I could, but began with TimberTech because of a local distributer . Moisture Shield's sales found me on the web bad mouthing trex, a topic we had in common.

I say mandatory because of all the hype not because I believed the bs or liked the look of the stuff, it's just that the average Wallet did.

I liked the science involved, really liked the cooling down process/machine, so away I went. I don't offer anything else to my customers if they want manmade. Along with South American I pretty much have everything covered at the high end. For ecno projects the local 5/4 incense cedar fills in the blanks.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I took the Moisture Shield tour in 04, put down the decking that same year Yanni.

Really for a Man in this kind of work selling manmade had become mandatory , I resisted it as long as I could, but began with TimberTech because of a local distributer . Moisture Shield's sales found me on the web bad mouthing trex, a topic we had in common.

I say mandatory because of all the hype not because I believed the bs or liked the look of the stuff, it's just that the average Wallet did.

I liked the science involved, really liked the cooling down process/machine, so away I went. I don't offer anything else to my customers if they want manmade. Along with South American I pretty much have everything covered at the high end. For ecno projects the local 5/4 incense cedar fills in the blanks.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

what are the enco projects? covered in deed.

·
Super Moderator
44,709 Posts
I think it's what you sell at the kitchen table. However when your composite venders are sending you 15 or 20 leads a month it probably means they want composite. The first thing they say is they don't want the problems that are associated with wood. Most of the time the phone conversation goes like this. Hi, I got your name from such and such composite company and we want to get rid of our rotted wood deck. They said you would have some samples to show us...... Now at this point they most certainly are not looking for wood that I can tell. So I bring them what they called for.

·
Registered
Retired deck builder
6,830 Posts
Austin deck how are they charging you down there? They mfg plant is in Arkansas and shipping can't be that much more then me.
It's not about shipping cost. They got a different wholesale outfit who has jacked up the price to the point the local yards can't make anything on it so they have all dropped it. One small yard out in the suburbs stocks about 3 colors. I like the product & have been using it on low to the ground decks/torchdowns that other manmade products won't warranty.

After the supply problems I had on the last project using an out of stock color I've scratched MS off the list unless a stocked color.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's been 3+ decades from the first Trex Deck I helped put in. As the "gruntnoid" I didn't really appreciated the carry it up the hill aspect. I did, however, become a fan at that point, of the low maintenance.
From then until now, the "Fake" decking has grown up, and I am a huge fan. The "opening miter" deck looks great, the owner is niggling.
The deck with the accent made my wife want to redo our 17 year old deck this spring. Fake deck for me, and it will be done in an easy weekend and I can forget about it until we move.
Great thread, gang.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts