Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Deck Board Fastening- Snap in?

1K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Mordekyle 
#1 ·
Remind me:

I remember seeing an ad in PDB about a product that was installed onto the joists with roofing nails.

Black plastic with little upright pieces that spring into the grooves on the sides of the boards. After installing all the pieces on the joists, you step on the board and it snaps in.

I thought it might be good on the solid surface of an ugly balcony.

What is it called? Where can I get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Looking to deck this balcony.

Hesitate puncturing the membrane.

I’m thinking of staggering the Duradeck strips on 1/2” tall sleepers, and laying a free floating surface.

Any recommendations, input, advice, etc.?

#9 ·
If you got room basket weave the frame and leave it floating, works really well and gives plenty of cross ventilation. Against the wall use a couple stainless boat scuppers so high humidity air doesn't get stuck up around the wall of the house.

#8 ·
How are you going to deal with the posts?

I once used 2x6 sleepers and carriage bolts from underneath up to secure steel surface mount posts. Was very solid using leverage of front to back. For the sides I screwed the deck perimeter. I was very small and over a concrete stoop. Otherwise I would have had to address penetrating the roof and flashing it for posts and floating a sleeper deck

#11 ·
Pocketing posts or solid blocking for steel is the textbook way but you are penetrating the roof which he said he wasn't sure he wanted to do.

Obviously they have come a long way with adhesives and sealants which will last way longer than typical tar flashing techniques.

#12 ·
It was one of those vinyl vacuum seal roofs. It worked out well but I couldn't help but wonder if that stuff is exposed to the sun would it crack. They said it wouldn't but I guess it doesn't really matter because it's covered up from the sun now.

I'm really not a fan of steel posts in the first place, here they'll rust out if they're not stainless or aluminum. An ipe post flashed correctly will last forever anywhere.

#19 ·
would 1/2" sleepers be able to hold the fasteners for the clips? with the addition of sleepers and decking, does that put you pretty close to the door's threshhold?

how does the outside edge of the existing roof look? I've seen a lot of older jobs where the corners are rusting w/ destroy's the edge of the roofing, from theres' its' a matter of time before that part fails. evidence is the lifting of the edge of membrane roofing on the drip edge.

#21 ·
would 1/2" sleepers be able to hold the fasteners for the clips? with the addition of sleepers and decking, does that put you pretty close to the door's threshhold?

how does the outside edge of the existing roof look? I've seen a lot of older jobs where the corners are rusting w/ destroy's the edge of the roofing, from theres' its' a matter of time before that part fails. evidence is the lifting of the edge of membrane roofing on the drip edge.
Door height is right at 1”

Sleepers would have to taper to 0” at the slider.

The balcony membrane seemed okay, just discolored. I didn’t thoroughly inspect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.