Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on an estimate for a deck and the deck boards will be running perpendicular to where the ledge would normally be, so as you walk out of the main door you are looking down the boards instead of across.

Anyone done this? It just seems so different to me...A lot more beam and post work.

·
Sean
5,519 Posts
Yeah but mostly with free standing decks though I got to say I prefer diagonal for mine. As for how many more posts, that depends on the span but I always double up on the rims all the way around so switching the orientation wasn't that big of an issue except for the connector (and taking care of the point load issues)

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,831 Posts
Many times I design like that to avoid butt splices on long runs. Slightly higher framing cost but, not substantial.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,962 Posts
I've done it couple times and it seems counter intuitive but it looks good. When there a slider or something you walk to the deck from inside it actually gives a larger feel.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,617 Posts
That's a common construction on decks on older houses around here, at least for the people who know what they're doing. With an old stone foundation, running the boards like that with some slope to the outside helps keep water out of the foundation. Run it the other way, and it all just runs down under. Similar with T&G, usually set to drain the short direction.

I've seen new construction guys that couldn't figure it out.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I am working on an estimate for a deck and the deck boards will be running perpendicular to where the ledge would normally be, so as you walk out of the main door you are looking down the boards instead of across.

Anyone done this? It just seems so different to me...A lot more beam and post work.
I just quoted two that way. Customers already had plans. There way was almost 500.00 more in hardware and materials. Remember im on a roof. Ive done them before but seems like there's an archi involved. They want to be a Frank Lloyd .

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Hang the beams off the house. No footings near foundation.

This was not my design. I built it when I was working for another guy in 2011. I would've biggie-sized the two outer beams and removed the middle beam (the one over the window). That idea got shot down. The joys of being smarter than your employer...

And no, I didn't build either one of the lower decks.

Mac

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Hang the beams off the house. No footings near foundation.

This was not my design. I built it when I was working for another guy in 2011. I would've biggie-sized the two outer beams and removed the middle beam (the one over the window). That idea got shot down. The joys of being smarter than your employer...

And no, I didn't build either one of the lower decks.

Mac

Mac I had feeling you'd pop on this. Long time… How are you making out in the N/W?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Doin' really good, actually. Finally got on w/ a decent deck company I can grow with (and I'm not strapping on a toolbelt everyday anymore either).

2014's gonna be a good year!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Doin' really good, actually. Finally got on w/ a decent deck company I can grow with (and I'm not strapping on a toolbelt everyday anymore either).

2014's gonna be a good year!
Best of Luck to ya. How did you make out a while back in your hiring process? Did you go with subs or EE's. Were they semi skilled which left you room to mold or skilled were they know it all? How dos your new outfit set up with tools and trucks? There own or your own?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Best of Luck to ya. How did you make out a while back in your hiring process? Did you go with subs or EE's. Were they semi skilled which left you room to mold or skilled were they know it all? How dos your new outfit set up with tools and trucks? There own or your own?
Employees, though we are looking for subs to service our outer markets. I passed on the guys who knew everything for some younger guys who I could teach. I mean, hell, I've spent the last ten years trying to become the best deck builder possible...I'd like to think I've got something to offer a new generation!

I'm working on instituting a check-out system for tools. We provide but they're getting trashed w/ no accountability (and sh*t walks away from time to time). I've got to make it hurt for them when they break our stuff!

Mac

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Have a full set of Ryobi. Whenever someone messes up a real tool they're only allowed to use the Ryobi for a month. That should cut down on mistreatment of good tools.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,617 Posts
If you mean "make it hurt" as in make them pay for it, you can't.

I'm sure you know this...just saying :)
You can, however, require them to have their own tools. You can provide the tools and let them buy them from you on time. If they break it or lose it, they get to buy another one from you.

At least around here, you can deduct the tool payment from their paycheck.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I do know a painting contractor who does this.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
If you mean "make it hurt" as in make them pay for it, you can't.

I'm sure you know this...just saying :)
You can if you have any employee agreement stating that if they abuse the tools the have to pay for the repairs our replacement. You cannot however just deduct anything from their check without their permission.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
"....without their permission"

That's all I was getting at. :thumbsup:

I'm sure Mac knows the laws where he is...just throwing things out there for anyone who may think you can just take their money for any reason you want.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm working on instituting a check-out system for tools. We provide but they're getting trashed w/ no accountability (and sh*t walks away from time to time). I've got to make it hurt for them when they break our stuff!

Mac
I've had the same problem for decades. You make them all sign in and sign out the tools, but inevitavely, when you get busy, you forget. And the one time you, or your office staff, do forget, is when it goes missing. I've had thousands in tools "lost" over the years.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
"....without their permission"

That's all I was getting at. :thumbsup:

I'm sure Mac knows the laws where he is...just throwing things out there for anyone who may think you can just take their money for any reason you want.
Agreed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts