Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
I like the look of timbertech, but the cap seemed to scuff a little too easy for my liking. All I could remember was telling my guys to stay off the deck as much as possible. If it's going to get scuffed, it's going to be by the HO. She was adamant about wanting TT as well. She actually visited the vendor and was a construction PM. There was no telling her any different.

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Durability is something I have not tested yet. I might test a few samples with some similar abrasion and see how it turns out. Would hate to put something in that scuffs up easy.
It was the hand scraped I Believe is legacy. Stuff was very expensive to boot

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
The timbertech looks great in person. Not as nice as real wood but def the best looking composite I have seen upto yet. These people want easy up keep so woods def out the question too. Would love to do a IPE deck one day though.

try 10000sf see how much you like it. and tt is what appears to be the attractive over other cap stocks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm a certified installed for all of them but I use and sell nothing else but Trex Transcend square, without any groves. Never had an issue with Trex whats so ever, since that class action suit in the 80's and they did the right thing by every customer, did 4 replacements and they covered labor and material 100% no questions asked.
What do you use for fasteners then? HIDfast?

·
Deck Parts Retailer
3,108 Posts
Grooves cut before capstock applied

Fiberon horizons
Top and bottom encased with cap stock
Very inconsistent sizing as much as 3mm between boards
Scary thin cap stock on surface
Not 100% sure of colors as the sample I have may not be good representation of color on length of board
Not very good wood grain effect
Grooves not capped! (Hear this is a issue when reading online reviews

If Fiberon had inconsistent sizing you wouldn't be able to do these patterns, well maybe you can't anyways

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
Most of the decks I've done are wood, but have been doing some composite this year...much more than the past years - trex and choicedek/moisture shield.

I like the choicedek because I can work with it similar to wood, like routering and semi fine trim work.

The raw/ugly edge of capped composite limits your options.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts