Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any reason why you can't install horizontal 1x6 or 1x4s instead of typical vertical ballusters?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,289 Posts
Any reason why you can't install horizontal 1x6 or 1x4s instead of typical vertical ballusters?
Outside of aesthetics, the only rules are that they be able to handle 200 pounds of [sideways] force, and not have any spaces which would permit passage of a 4" diameter ball.

At least that's the rule in most of the US. Since you didn't mention where you are, I didn't bother looking up Lithuanian regulations.

Good idea to update your member profile with your location. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I've recently seen two very nicely built handicap ramps in front of houses. Both had about 4 horiz 1x6 on both sides. I would say there most likely was a permit for them. Any comments ?

Back to the original op - no can do here too, the ladder effect re: children.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Both had about 4 horiz 1x6 on both sides. Any comments ?
More than likely, they weren't 30" above grade so no code would apply to those handrails. Even if they were taller than 30", there are jurisdictions that don't have "climbable" in their wording, merely that a 4" sphere can't pass through and must resist 200 lb. side force.

Mac

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
More than likely, they weren't 30" above grade so no code would apply to those handrails. Even if they were taller than 30", there are jurisdictions that don't have "climbable" in their wording, merely that a 4" sphere can't pass through and must resist 200 lb. side force.

Mac
Don't know if it was code
or inspector, but it worked if
I put them on the outside of
the posts, and the handrail
to the inside.
Have done the that way since,
and no questions.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I've recently seen two very nicely built handicap ramps in front of houses. Both had about 4 horiz 1x6 on both sides. I would say there most likely was a permit for them. Any comments ?

Back to the original op - no can do here too, the ladder effect re: children.
Dude, they're handicap ramps. Climbing....?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts