Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with a product called Deck Armor by GAF? I have a school project that has this specified in lieu of felt paper under the shingles. Problem is, in the submittal information, they call it "breathable" which to me translates "it leaks". It has to go over a fire rated UL assembly of metal deck, 5/8 rated drywall, 5/8 plywood. If it leaks the drywall turns to mush. Will the roofer have to keep everything tarped until the shingles are on? I can't even get a straight answer out of the GAF rep.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,321 Posts
Just because a product is breathable doesn't mean it leaks but it's definitely something to make sure of. I would contact the architect, through the general if necessary, and voice my concerns to both about the potential issue.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Used some on a job at the end of the year.Tore off, got the whole thing felted in with the Deck Armor and went home for the night. It wasnt supposed to rain but it did. I was worried about it but the next morning it was fine. No leaks in the house. It was just very slippery, like ice, and we had to wait until it dried out.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just because a product is breathable doesn't mean it leaks but it's definitely something to make sure of. I would contact the architect, through the general if necessary, and voice my concerns to both about the potential issue.
I am the General. The architect is not much help, he just wants the super duper GAF warranty, which requires the deck armor. It's my roofer's problem, I am just trying to save him from himself!

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Mudpad, I would not worry about it. It is actually a great product to work with once you get the hang of it. It does roll out differently than felt, in that you cant pull it to straighten it out but you just need to let it roll out on its own. I like the stuff, I wish more people would want the upgrade although I do believe any synthetic felt to be unneccessary for an asphalt roof.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I guess we just need to get started and see what happens, and keep the blue tarps handy. We have about 700 squares to do.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
It's one of many a tyvek like product. Shark skin is less expensive and will do the same job. I used it on one of my rental properties years ago. It was a February and we suddenly got really busy, so I had to leave the job unfinished. We covered the roof with deck armor, secured it properly and left. Six months later we went back to finish the work. The paper never wrinkled and never allowed a leak!. I've never used felt since.

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
Never used the deck armor product, but have used many of the others like it. I would say they are more watertight in that they tend to stay on the roof much better than felt. These products are very hard to tear, and the wind resistance is incredible. We have used these products since 2005 and have never lost a single piece from a roof deck. With #15 felt, you better get your roofer out quick or pray that you don't get high winds.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Yeah the best thing about Deck Armor or a synthetic felt like that or feltex or many of the other brands is that you supposably can leave them exposed for 6 months. With them being 10 squares to a roll and only weighing between 40 and 50 pounds, its really nice to work with. Just need to use a straight blade to cut it because hook blades tear it.

Have fun with the 700 squares. Good Luck on your project.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah the best thing about Deck Armor or a synthetic felt like that or feltex or many of the other brands is that you supposably can leave them exposed for 6 months.
If it is still exposed six months from now I'll be looking for a new job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts