Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Response to CBSCREATIVE

Another 99 Designs wannabe (a "me too" is nothing new). John's probably right about the copyright infringement. I don't recommend this approach for logo design but oh well, I'm just a designer and it is just a logo.

Far be it from me to offer my opinion. Thank you for making my day more amusing though. I always enjoy seeing another one of these sites.
CBSCREATIVE - I DON'T APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS DUMPING ON THE METHOD I HAVE CHOSEN TO OBTAIN MY LOGO! I doubt you could even begin to provide 15 different logo concepts, let alone the 201 I had to choose from, especially for $300! I can see why you are against this method as it will most likely eat significantly in to your sales volume as its popularity grows.

The question I asked is "Which logo do you like the best?". Your reply is totally off topic!

I agree its not perfect, but with my experience I can make it much better for other readers on this forum.

In closing, please DO NOT POST ANY FURTHER COMMENTS on this thread unless it is to offer specific constructive criticism of a particular logo.

Thank-you.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
You have got to be kidding me. Listen here grasshopper. First, dont talk to steve like that because he knows more about what you need to know than you do. Second, dont give Matts a bad name by being a dueche. Lastly, dont yell at PEOPLE!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Response to CBSCREATIVE

You have got to be kidding me. Listen here grasshopper. First, dont talk to steve like that because he knows more about what you need to know than you do. Second, dont give Matts a bad name by being a dueche. Lastly, dont yell at PEOPLE!
JUST BECAUSE STEVE IS YOUR BUDDY DOESN'T BUY HIM A PASS ON MY THREAD! HIS POST IS TOTALLY IRRELEVANT TO THE INPUT I WAS REQUESTING!

All I am asking is that we stay on topic here. I don't appreciate derogatory comments on the method I have chosen to select my logo. I believe I'll get much more "bang for my buck" this way than hiring a single consultant for $3K to $6K to do the same.

In closing, I do appreciate you, personally, taking the time to look at the contest and post your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
JUST BECAUSE STEVE IS YOUR BUDDY DOESN'T BUY HIM A PASS ON MY THREAD! HIS POST IS TOTALLY IRRELEVANT TO THE INPUT I WAS REQUESTING!

All I am asking is that we stay on topic here. I don't appreciate derogatory comments on the method I have chosen to select my logo. I believe I'll get much more "bang for my buck" this way than hiring a single consultant for $3K to $6K to do the same.

In closing, I do appreciate you, personally, taking the time to look at the contest and post your thoughts.
I suppose it's all relavent. But when I went to hire a logo designer to fix our logo, I was never quoted $3K - $6K. I think the highest I was quoted was $1800. I must have been scrounging on the wrong side of the tracks I suppose.

Now granted, I had already come up with a basic concept, I had a main font that I liked, but I knew that what I had was only average at best. It incorporated some basic clip art like many of these on line design contest entrants use. Granted, they have access to much larger data bases of clip art than a schmuck like me has available, but they still generally come off using the same plumb-bob, level, square or any other assundry tools often used in construction logos.

So, in my situation, all I needed was for someone to tweak what I already had rather than re-create the wheel. For $250, we got three entirely different designs, with all three designs in three different color combinations. We were thrilled with our final design.

We got far fewer choices than you did for sure, but in all 200 or so of the ones submitted (and I didn't see all of them because many had been removed for copyrite infringement - at least that was what the thumbnail said), I'm not certain you had more than a few that were actually any good - understanding that statement is subjective and only my personal opinion.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to throw your logo out to one of these contests. But, it is my personal opinion that one done by a competant designer will yield you a nicer looking logo in the end. At least with a single person, you won't be required to pay unless they come up with something you like. Not true with these contests. You guarantee payment prior to ever receiving a thing.

As for Steve's comment, he's entitled to an opinion as well. Yes, even in "your" thread. But you've got to remember that you don't "own" this thread, CT does. If you've got a problem with someone making a post in the thread you started (or any post in any thread for that matter), report the post to a moderator and let them handle it. Don't go all dictator ruling your domain with an iron fist. It's not necessary nor very much appreciated by those that frequent these parts.

Going off on a couple of well respected forum members like Steve and then Matt, won't curry you much favor. I suppose I'm next, but heck I'm used to it. I don't carry the respect those guys do. In the end, enjoy yourself here. Getting all worked up over a fairly innocent comment isn't worth it.

Of course: just my $0.02, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV and all that.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
My 10 year old daughter did mine in 5 minutes. Logos are kind of fun I guess but don't spend a lifetime focusing on this. You want it simple, clean, memorable and sized in proper proportions where it fits on a van or truck and can be readable from 500'.

I do quite well in business and not a single sale was from my logo. I still haven't put lettering on my van.....probably will soon but I'm not exactly worried about it.

People get incredibly hung up on these things but fail in so many other areas the logo becomes pointless.

In my experience at least, the most profitable construction companies I know, and the busiest......don't have $5000 logos.

Still, a guy like Steve can probably supply you with a great logo. Why? Because he understands marketing and marketing is more important (as a package) than picking out your favorite color. If you understand marketing and you understand how all the marketing pieces fit in a giant puzzle than picking it out is a non event.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts