Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
CASH is king
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with a back ground in industrial sewing, I have decided to make my own tool belt setup. As I have found MANY times in the past, it can be easier, cheaper and faster to just buy something already on the market. I had thought that a set of Diamondbacks would fit the bill in this case but after getting some help and input from you guys (thank you all btw) I think I have found that no "one" set up can do it all.
I am done with trying to revamping my current ones to make them work, I'm done thinking about the ones currently on the market and I will break down and just make a new set to fit what I need.
I started them over the weekend and hope to have them somewhat finished tonight. we'll see how that goes. Thank you all again with all your help and I will post some pics when I get something finished.:thumbup:

·
CASH is king
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O.K. so I am pretty much done. So far it cost me as much as the Diamondback belts, because I had to buy the material in 10 yard rolls, a whole roll of 1 3/4 mil. spec webbing and full rolls of velcro and it took 3 days to do. The good news is, it's made for me! I used 3 layers of 1000 denier cordura on everything. Mil. Spec. webbing on the belt and front of the pouches, an all aluminum belt buckle and slides. You can't see it but also has removable lumbar support!
!

this is with all the pouches taken off. I made all the pockets removable, so I could set up the belt depending on what I'm working on or add new pockets latter.

belt buckle used for mountain climbing

right side

left side

back

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
That looks far too good for an electrician....:whistling

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
nice work, i like the location of the mini drill holster.

my biggest complaint about big nylon bags is that they are so cumbersome its hard to move in or with so many pockets it makes it tricky to get at other pockets..

i have a black kunys nylong bag which is good for siding but i cant use for framing.. combination throws off my balance and i cant climb through trusses because it makes we so wide

·
CASH is king
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice work, i like the location of the mini drill holster.

my biggest complaint about big nylon bags is that they are so cumbersome its hard to move in or with so many pockets it makes it tricky to get at other pockets..

i have a black kunys nylong bag which is good for siding but i cant use for framing.. combination throws off my balance and i cant climb through trusses because it makes we so wide
That is my favorite pocket. I love how it turned out. Now I can pull the drill in and out like a gun in a holster when I'm doing my make up on the switches and recepticals.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Cool!

There is a company called Tactical Tailor that makes all sorts of slick military pouches, packs, harnesses, etc... This guy was an Army Sniper who got frustrated by the lack of well thought out carrying options for gear, so he taught himself how to sew while a sniper. He mostly made stuff for himself. Then his friends found out and he made stuff for them. Now.....

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/retailstoresite/ttretail.html

You are onto something!

·
Registered
53 Posts
[email protected]

You're my new hero!

Don't ever let anyone give you any flak about sewing up your own gear- that's the way to get what you really want! It's awesome to design for your own needs without worrying about marketability or current design trends...

I got into ultralight backpacking about five years ago, and once I was used to being able to always build what I wanted it was pretty easy to start seeing all the shortcomings of commercially available stuff. I was a little intimidated about starting but found out it's all about layout and marking and working to those lines. Reverse engineering from what your needs are and running the machine- just like making anything else. It took awhile to get good enough that I was satisfied with what I was turning out, but pretty soon you end up with a collection of gear that is as nice as any and is everything you want! Been a while since I've been able to do much with it (remodeling my own house now), but custom nailbags have often been a topic of conversation with with another carpenter friend who sews a lot of stuff for himself too.

Your stuff really looks awesome- stitching, margins, all of it, and you obviously really know what you're doing there. I love it. Keep up the good work- maybe the folks at Diamondback and Occidental should start sweating a bit...:clap::clap::clap:

·
CASH is king
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So....
Materials....
Labor.....

What would one cost to have made? :thumbsup:

Looks nice
Its hard to say because it cost me alot more because I had to buy alot more material than I needed and the belt buckle was a pretty penny too. If I had to break it down to a per-bag-cost, with labor and material I would lean toward saying the $200-$300 range.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Nice job [email protected]! That looks like a sweet setup. Good for you for making your own. Keep us posted how it works out for you over time. I'm a little curious about the hammer holder. Looks like it would solve the problem of having the happer swinging around and knocking into things, but how is it with mobility? Just curious. I love the drill holster!

BTW, $200-$300 would be dirt cheap. I don't know how many hours it took you to make, or how much you get paid per hour, but I'm betting if you sat down and did the math, you wouldn't be making much at that price. Don't sell yourself cheap. That's a nice looking set of bags:thumbsup:

·
Greg
57 Posts
Those look great :clap:

You must be young with out back probs! Id love to use that set up but after too many years of rough framing I'm stuck to my Oxy suspenders. Make a suspension system like that and call me a customer:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Thank you for pointing out the left side, right side , front & back.
You're so skinny , I couldn't tell if that was your a$$ or your zipper:w00t:

Great job Matt..honestly

1 - 20 of 33 Posts