Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of working with these crappy windows from the box stores. I live and work in Upstate NY and would like some recommendations on reasonably priced windows and doors. Local to Syracuse would be wonderful.
I am also looking for a slider for our home and would like to hear from you guys and gals on brands you might like. I would really like to find one that has the blinds in the glass if possible. And wood interior.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Blinds in the glass...Pella, Jeld-Wen, Masonite. Windows I like...I used Marvin when I built my place. FYI, HD vinyl windows are made by Silverline.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you are looking for opinions about reasonable windows I would say try Jeld-Wen's middle line window, Norco. I used Eagle until it was bought by Andersen. It may resurface as a good window but I am waiting to see. I will not use anything from Andersen or Pella. For rolling doors I always use Marvin because it is the only one that really works for more than 3 years. It's expensive but if you can't afford it don't use a rolling door! The best bargain in all-wood windows is Boston Sash (bostonsash.com) sold through lumber yards in New England.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
www.simonton.com I use them for all my vinyl window needs. They make a good better best line of windows... and these are the same windows Home Depot installs and Sears installs. These are good windows.

When it comes to wood framed windows I pretty much only use Marvin and I do not buy from big box stores. i buy from my local lumber yard who has a dedicated window guy on staff that sells nothing but windows to contractors like me. I get real good service that way. Marvin also has a good better best line up. Infact all window manufacturers have multiple types of windows which vary in price and quality.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Grumpy said:
www.simonton.com I use them for all my vinyl window needs. They make a good better best line of windows... and these are the same windows Home Depot installs and Sears installs. These are good windows.

I have to agree. I have installed them many times and they are great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts