Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently building a new house and am looking for a 4 camera setup with DVR and the ability to monitor from a mobile device. 3 cameras would be outdoor and one in the garage.

Is there anything decent for around $1k, or is that just unreasonable?

·
Registered
358 Posts
[ QUOTE=EricBrancard;1877965]Im currently building a new house and am looking for a 4 camera setup with DVR and the ability to monitor from a mobile device. 3 cameras would be outdoor and one in the garage.

Is there anything decent for around $1k, or is that just unreasonable?[/QUOTE]

harbor freight - $300 on sale. its really low quality but I only use mine for security during remodels for the security of my equipment and materials. its amazing whats out there for around a grand. try amazon orbest buy.

also, comcast offers cameras as part of their product line. not that expensive but I dont know if they offer a dvr

As long as your not looking for todays version of Tony Montana's setup you have a ton of options.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I've installed a couple of Q-See systems,, seem to be solid and have remote viewing on smartphone . If you want good facial recognition, upgrade a camera or two

They were like 700

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Depends if you want high definition ip cams or are you happy with sd analog. Swann, Qsee, Lorex will all be under 500. If you want IP cams you could get a digimerge kit 4 cams and nvr for about 1200, or a HikVision system...that's what I'd go with.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I hard wired my house to a structured panel for cameras. I used the CIB package from Amazon, around 400.00 So far so good after 3 years. If its a single family house 4 cameras probably won't cover the entire perimeter. Typically you would want one at the front door, over the garage door(s), 2 at each corner and 1 high at front and rear to see crime at neighbors.

I am a fanatic about security, 8 foot non scalable fence around entire property, locked gates, security system, weaponry at convenient locations, Hardie and split face block that won't burn exterior, quasi safe room, emergency food storage etc.

Many years ago had someone break in to a house through a door while I was in the room (kitchen no lights on). hand came through glass to open lock. I cut top of hand in a sawing motion while hiding behind a refrigerator. 3 or 4 years later I had started to build a deck on my house and ran out of nails and toenailed all the joist to the band with one nail. That night while I was out someone came in backyard and walked across joists…next morning I had chunks of skin and hair on several joists where they turned over. I imagine it was shin skin. I live in an upscale community but crime is everywhere.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,114 Posts
One caution on the DVR - some of them require you to start from the beginning of the recording to review - if it's recording 48 hours and review is at 8X, it's going to take you 6 hours to look at something that just happened.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have seen the sub $500 package deals online and at stores. I don't know how useful the image would be if it was actually needed. In talking with my friend the other night, I asked if he has ever investigated a break in where a camera was present. He said just one but the image quality was so poor it wasn't of any use.

Depends if you want high definition ip cams or are you happy with sd analog. Swann, Qsee, Lorex will all be under 500. If you want IP cams you could get a digimerge kit 4 cams and nvr for about 1200, or a HikVision system...that's what I'd go with.
I'm running the wire right now. I was running Siamese cable to the locations. Should I also run cat5/6 to the locations to have more options, or will the HD cams work off coax too?

One caution on the DVR - some of them require you to start from the beginning of the recording to review - if it's recording 48 hours and review is at 8X, it's going to take you 6 hours to look at something that just happened.
It would be nice to have something where this isn't the case.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I don't think they exist anymore.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hard wired my house to a structured panel for cameras. I used the CIB package from Amazon, around 400.00 So far so good after 3 years. If its a single family house 4 cameras probably won't cover the entire perimeter. Typically you would want one at the front door, over the garage door(s), 2 at each corner and 1 high at front and rear to see crime at neighbors.

I am a fanatic about security, 8 foot non scalable fence around entire property, locked gates, security system, weaponry at convenient locations, Hardie and split face block that won't burn exterior, quasi safe room, emergency food storage etc.
I can appreciate the layered security approach.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I'm running the wore right now. I was running Siamese cable to the locations. Should I also run cat5/6 to the locations to have more options, or will the HD cams work off coax too?
You have to use expensive and bulky adaptors for ip over coax. Absolutely run cat5e or cat6. You can skip the coax and just use baluns. I don't do any new analog installs...ip for everything now.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I just put in a security system in my house . I went with digimerge for my dvr .I was told it was a good dvr , problem is their phone techs for customer service have got really bad in the last year . They put you on hold forever .Something else to consider is a camera that is good for facial recognition at night . I used everfocus ehd-730 and while they weren't cheap they are useless at night .I just had some punk break into my truck 2 weeks ago and I couldn't get a facial on him .

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I just put in a security system in my house . I went with digimerge for my dvr .I was told it was a good dvr , problem is their phone techs for customer service have got really bad in the last year . They put you on hold forever .Something else to consider is a camera that is good for facial recognition at night . I used everfocus ehd-730 and while they weren't cheap they are useless at night .I just had some punk break into my truck 2 weeks ago and I couldn't get a facial on him .
You will never get facial rec with an analog camera system. Digimerge had a batch of dvrs about 5 years ago that had a 100 percent failure rate which soured me on them. Everfocus are cheap...they are some of the cheapest crap going.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,114 Posts
Getting a positive ID using video cameras is difficult, and can be almost impossible at night. I don't know of any inexpensive way to do it.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Getting a positive ID using video cameras is difficult, and can be almost impossible at night. I don't know of any inexpensive way to do it.
Night time picture on a high res camera really separates the boys from the men...price wise.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Registered
658 Posts
Honeywell has some pretty nice stuff out right now that's not too bad in price. Anything good you're going to need to buy each part and not a package.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts