Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to trim out the ceiling detail in a 9' x 11' room, it is a tin tile ceiling and unfortunately on one side of the room there is a 4 1/2" gap from wall to edge of tile detail and on the other there is a 7" gap.

I am going to be using a large cove crown and so far the best idea I have is just packing two pieces of stepped 5/4 flat stock on the flat against the wall with the bigger gap for the bottom of the crown to hit those so that the crown has a consistent reveal with the tile detail.

I have to imagine there might be some better ways to resolve this and I'd appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
269 Posts
dealing with off centered tin ceiling

Sounds like who ever did the tin needs some lessons. Needs to be redone to even reveal then trim as needed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tin is off center due to a change in the mechanical/electrical layout there was going to be a box chase on that wall and a smaller molding not a cove crown all the way around.

The individual tin tiles are riveted to one another now and are not coming down so a trim detail has to solve the issue.

I can make it look good with the ideas I have, was hoping for some inspiration to make things look great.

·
Contractor
111 Posts
I had to do that on a hotel once, we ended up putting a piece of trim on the ceiling so the reveal was more like 24" on one side and 21" one on the other. It was about 20' off the ground though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts