Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I am in a position where I have some control but not toal control. I still have to refer to my boss on various subjects like scheduling. Oh man this past week of shceduling has me damned near ready to quit...

Everything he tells me is a lie, and I don't think he is lieing on purpose... but it's making me look like a liar to all my customers.

One case... I always brag how good our cleanup is. Last wednesday we started a job. We finished as the sun was going down on Friday night. Supposedly one of our guys went back the next day to cleanup. The customer has been calling me since Sunday to ***** about all the garbage left behing. When I ask my boss it's always "Ummm explain exactly what needs to be done... ok I'll have someone there today." The next day the customer calls. I don't get paid until the job is finished and the customer doesnt consider this finished, and I don't consider this part of my job.

Another situation. A good customer, general contractor, who gives me personally a ton of work has had a 2 square torch down in our schedule for two weeks. Albeit we have about 3 weeks of what we call "********************ty jos" being jobs that take one man a day or less, but EVERYTIME we make out the schedule, the next morning it's like we never did. Our repair guy is out on HIS jobs that were scheduled for next week.

I don't need this stress! What can I do? If he were an employee of mine I'd fire him. I can only lean on him so much before he fires me.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention earlier today I called him to ask about 2 specific little jobs and he starts going "I... Can't... Hear... You... Bad... Signal..." and laughing. He obviously knows there is a problem but doesn't care.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Grumpy said:
I forgot to mention earlier today I called him to ask about 2 specific little jobs and he starts going "I... Can't... Hear... You... Bad... Signal..." and laughing. He obviously knows there is a problem but doesn't care.
Seems like your boss is behaving like you are part of the problem. You said in an earlier post that he was a good roofer. What makes him good?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He can look at a roof and has a 6th sense about it. He's had the hands on experience to answer questions before they are asked. I'm not saying he is a super roofer or anything like that. I am saying he knows his trade.

Seriously his company woudl be better off if he managed the production and left the scheduling to me. I did scheduling full time for a year. Also if he would loosen up a little bit on the purse strings when it comes to marketing, we may be able to grow this little 1million a year business into something big.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Grumpy said:
He can look at a roof and has a 6th sense about it. He's had the hands on experience to answer questions before they are asked. I'm not saying he is a super roofer or anything like that. I am saying he knows his trade.

Seriously his company woudl be better off if he managed the production and left the scheduling to me. I did scheduling full time for a year. Also if he would loosen up a little bit on the purse strings when it comes to marketing, we may be able to grow this little 1million a year business into something big.
And if he doesn't smarten up, he could be facing a very knowledgeable competitor...;)

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL actually he hired me because I think he knows that he knows very little about the business end of the business. He's a good guy and gave me an incredible opportunity, but he needed me as much as I needed him when I got hired.

he once said "There would be no <company name> if it wasn't for you." I made him say it twice :) If we were an A$$hole I more than likley would have quit by now. Maybe the underlying problem is I am a control freak?

I managed to remedy the situation by taking the necessary step to do the clean up myself. I call myself a project manager, at least that's what my business cards say... so untimately the responsibility is mine if I am truly to be a project manager.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts