Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We've been installing new tubs in a highrise condo building for a couple years, as follows:

The drain drops from the overflow through a 6" slab, to a slip fitting and the trap. Not much access to the fitting. We (sometimes I do it, sometimes a plumber sub does it) measure carefully, assemble the overflow and drain and install into the building. Then we drop in the tub and attach to the tub. Once the tub is in (and that slip fitting definitely gets jiggled) there's no access to that slip fitting. Although the inspectors have been OK with it, and a couple of plumbers have been OK with it, I'm not thrilled about that inaccessible slip fitting, sitting above $20MM of condos in lower floors.

So I'm thinking of putting a short brass nipple into the slip fitting, and packing it with .... something, so that I never need to worry about it again. The nipple comes up almost to floor level, where it's easy to use a Mission coupling to join to a nipple coming out of the bottom of the drain/overflow tee. I install the drain overflow assembly into the building as before, and drop the tub in as before. I'll worry a little less because we're definitely not moving that slip fitting at all, and the Mission coupling has a little movement to accommodate the tub install. Perhaps I cut the tube coming up from the tee to the overflow, and install the overflow last, with another Mission fitting - I have access to that after dropping the tub in.

Any suggestions? I really don't like that slip fitting sitting in the ceiling of the condo below. I want this to be something that I can tell a plumber to do. I'm not going to defer to their judgment (which has so far been to do it the way I don't like) in this case.

I'll follow up with a picture.

- Bob

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be a code violation here.
I understand that, as far as that inaccessible slip fitting goes. It presumably was not a code violation when the place was built 40 years ago; I'm not going to go into the ceiling of the unit below to deal with that, and the building department isn't going to ask me to do that.

Except for that fitting, what about my new suggestion is a code violation?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The mission coupling itself is not code compliant, it is not a rodent proof installation.
Maybe it's an Illinois thing, like EMT. It's certainly not a general rule here, as entire houses are plumbed legally here with the DWV entirely coupled with shielded Mission couplings.

I remain interested in hearing ideas about how to improve on the current situation, with or without mission couplings.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
Here that building would have CI and copper waste and vent, I'd throw away the nut on the trap adapter and solder the W&O right to the adapter.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here that building would have CI and copper waste and vent, I'd throw away the nut on the trap adapter and solder the W&O right to the adapter.
No you wouldn't. The crux of the matter is that the adapter is 6 inches below that hole in the slab, in the ceiling of the condo below. Your customer would have to offer that owner some thousands of dollars to accept your offer to bust open their ceiling, patch, and repaint their bathroom.

Any other ideas?

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
No you wouldn't. The crux of the matter is that the adapter is 6 inches below that hole in the slab, in the ceiling of the condo below. Your customer would have to offer that owner some thousands of dollars to accept your offer to bust open their ceiling, patch, and repaint their bathroom.

Any other ideas?

Solder it from above before the tub is set, done it many times.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Solder it from above before the tub is set, done it many times.
Thanks, Killer. Ya know what, I'll get back over there on Monday with a fresh set of eyes for the problem, and see if that's feasible. Possibly with the skinny acetylene torch. It's worth a look, anyway.

Thanks,

- Bob

·
Registered
819 Posts
i wont install a tub unless i can assemble the drains after the tub is in place...so id need to get behind the tub or under the tub....if the builder says no then i wont do the job...

my 1st year in business i had a builder tell me how to do my job...i did it his way....got a leak, wrecked drywall...i then installed the drains MY WAY, but then he back charged me $800 to fix....i stupidly paid it and never got a job from him again.....i bad mouth his business tactics every chance i get to anyone who will listen....

i learned a lesson from the idiot.....i decide how to do my job.....hire me and let me do what i do

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
i wont install a tub unless i can assemble the drains after the tub is in place...so id need to get behind the tub or under the tub....if the builder says no then i wont do the job....
That's an absolute rule? Let's say that the cost of providing access through another unit is $4K. "Well," you say, "that's just the cost, and if the owner won't pay it, then you shouldn't do the job."

Fair enough. What if I offer you $3990 to do it without access after the tub is in place? You can't figure out how to install a tub without access after the tub is in, for $3990? I think most plumbers, good ones, will find a way to make it work, for less than $4K.

That's my situation here.

Edit: That's $3990 plus your regular charge for installing a tub.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
That's an absolute rule? Let's say that the cost of providing access through another unit is $4K. "Well," you say, "that's just the cost, and if the owner won't pay it, then you shouldn't do the job."

Fair enough. What if I offer you $3990 to do it without access after the tub is in place? You can't figure out how to install a tub without access after the tub is in, for $3990? I think most plumbers, good ones, will find a way to make it work, for less than $4K.

That's my situation here.

Edit: That's $3990 plus your regular charge for installing a tub.
Cut another hole in the floor, this isn't rocket surgery.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
High rise, no one's cutting any holes in any floors. That's non-negotiable.
If I had a dollar for all the holes I've cut in high rise floors I'd be a very rich man, don't be afraid to make the scope of work something that all the trades can work with.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
High rise condo building, no one's cutting any holes in any floors. That's the one non-negotiable rule of remodeling in the building.
Yeah, I don't think that would fly around here.

I've seen lots of those shielded flex couplings inside walls, I know they work, but somehow I don't trust a screw hose clamp connection. :blink:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts