Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few posts lately that refer to problem customers. Let me offer some of my own thoughts and please feel free to chime in with any input of your own.
As a business owner it is so important to know how to deal with people,how to read them,how to determine what type of personality they have,what their buttons are ect...
home owners can be picky,unreasonable,stubborn,selfish,greedy,and believe it or not some can be very good people. So,what happens when we are are our wits end and ready to put the gloves on(i was a welterweight)? this is where people skills come into play. if there is a problem or a percieved problem on their part i usually sit down with them and ask them what their concerns are and then i address them one by one in a very calm but elaborate manner. i tell them i have been doing this for a very long time and their problem is'nt a problem at all,its part of doing a job and we don't live in a perfect world. fortunately for them i let them know our company always makes sure the customer is 100% happy and so far we are batting 1000 in that department and there is no way that i am going to let them break my record(i laugh). one of my sayings are this:" lets not worry about things that can or did happen during the job,lets judge the job as a finished product. do i care that one of the workers at mercedes benz forgot to put in spark plugs before they shipped the vehicle? No,because they inspected it before it was shipped,realized the mishap,addressed it and then shipped it." i then kind of laugh and they get the point.
Not getting paid !!! this is a contractors biggest fear and again where people skills come into play. if it ever happens,i alwyas say "i've been doing this for over 25 years and never had anyone come close to not paying me,i'm batting 1000 in that department and i'm not going to let you break my record".again,i kind of laugh. if it goes to the next level i then may say," i have too much pride to let someone beat me for money,that never happened and it never will".i rarely have to use that one though.
throughout the job,always get a series of yes's just like a sales presentation."Mr. Jones the siding looks nice does'nt it,look how meticulous they were with the small details. Your home is going to really stand out and we have to use it as a model home".i always give updates and get the homeowner to admit how nice everything looks.this creates a possitive environment and mind set. Also, remind the customer how easy the job is.."this is all routine,bumps in the road are all part of the game and we never get upset,we're so used to doing this type of work we can do it in our sleep". home owner may say thats easy for us to say,its not our home. i then reply" in my mind it is,as long as we are working on it,i treat it like my own.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts