Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Professional Contractor
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a local bar here where all the independent contractors hang out.
Once again the conversation turned to someone not getting paid.

Someone came up with a Dead-Beat List idea.
They were going to publish all the "dead beats" (mostly rich people) who don't pay their contractor either on their websites or Facebook page.

I thought this to be a PHENOMENAL idea, but now I'm thinking that since most of the dead beats are extremely wealthy, what would the legal repercussions be?

·
Professional Contractor
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anybody have any legal,repercussion horror-stories?

·
Super Moderator
28,889 Posts
I have never not been paid. Only been in business 6 years, but always been paid.

I noticed in one of your posts you said you wouldn't work for oilmen.

70% of my clientele are oilmen. They are generally my best customers. Most of my work is on second homes.

Reactions: TxElectrician

·
Professional Contractor
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's funny.
The ONLY people who have ever burned me have been oil men.
1 for 600k
1 for 350k
1 for 279k
1 for 87 k
1 for 410k

Oh yeah a lawyer got me for 24k once
And a banker got me for 9k once

I guess I should be more specific. When I say oilmen, I should more clearly state "2nd or 3rd generation oilmen" you know, the "descendants" of the old oilmen who have never worked a day in their life and have no respect for those that do.
I have never been burned by a "working" oilman.
Well crap, I take that back too. I had a working oilman take me for 39k 2 years ago.

·
Professional Contractor
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The guy who took me for 600k also took a local irrigator for 118k and since no one around here will work for him anymore, he had a stone contractor come in from over by Austin and he burned him for 200k.

I sued him for my 600k almost 5 years ago and his lawyers have still managed to not get it to trial.

·
Professional Contractor
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, its my own d... Fault.
That's ok. For all the bad ones, there are hundreds of good ones.
I still wouldn't want to make a living any other way.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Yeah, its my own d... Fault.
That's ok. For all the bad ones, there are hundreds of good ones.
I still wouldn't want to make a living any other way.
And you know I'm not saying that it's your fault that a specific guy rips you off - it's always the bad guy's fault, seriously. But there are ways to find and qualify the 10% of customers that we want, and ways to keep from getting in those deep, deep holes when we make a mistake with the qualification. A good contract, a good payment schedule, being a hardass when it comes to the payment schedule, leaving some money on the table to get paid now rather than when the big strike comes in, all that stuff.

The deadbeat list is a stupid idea, a great conversation topic at the bar but a complete waste of time for a conscientious and careful contractor.

I'm sorry you've been ripped off; those people are out there, no doubt.

- Bob

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
You've been burned for 1,759K (by your admission)? Am I reading that right? One million, seven hundred and fifty nine thousand dollars? If I got burned for $1759 (without all the extra zero's) I'd be pissed and going after them with everything I got, including enough phone calls to jam their voicemails, on every phone number I have for them, daily. You either need better contracts or STOP THE WORK when they get behind on their payments. Unless it's a billion dollar contract, there's no way in HELL I would let someone owe me 600K (per one of your claims).

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
there HAS to be another side to this. you must be uber wealthy! i don't even one LARGE general contractor here that could, or would walk away from 1.7 mil. i smell a tuna boat.

on edit....i get these gut feelings. the one i have now is were i you, i would hope this thread gets deleted so someone doesn't inform one of these clients. although you have named no one here, i'm sure back where you're from, there are those that could piece the puzzle together and make your life suck.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
The guy who took me for 600k also took a local irrigator for 118k and since no one around here will work for him anymore, he had a stone contractor come in from over by Austin and he burned him for 200k.

I sued him for my 600k almost 5 years ago and his lawyers have still managed to not get it to trial.
Jebus, a guy burned me for $60 seven years ago and I still think about it on occasion. I've been in business for 27 plus years and have had to rattle some cages but it was very rare I didn't get paid, maybe 4 times total.

I would agree the rich folks are the worst, they love money so much it must hurt to part with ANY of it. The best ones for me are smaller contractors, they know it takes money to stay in business.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Sounds like an IRS audit magnet: What if IRS declares your "losses" gifts and you now owe gift tax/income on the 1Mill +. That would be funny....:eek: Why not file 1099gs for the monies owed???? at least force them to pay taxes on their stolen goods and services.

Hope you keep very good records.... Don't lose the hard drive, only Democrats can do that.:censored:

Angie's List for customers is called a credit report, TRW, 20.00$? D&B for big dogs....Oooh...:blink:

Talk to the little people around the rich person, the truth will out.

·
Professional Contractor
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I said before, I have greatly reduced the size of my business and the size of my headaches. Have been in Business since 1990.
2009 20M gross Revenue
2010 20M Gross revenue
2011 55M Gross Revenue
2012 67M Gross Revenue
November 2012 - Major Heart Attack 3 Month recovery
2013 490K Gross Revenue
2014 looking to be about the same as 13

I have learned my lesson about being the Big Dog on the block

1.7 M in losses represented about 10% of the Gross revenue of those same years. I was also running 2 to 3M in A/R on any given month during those years, so yes it is very easy to accumulate those kinds of losses when you are that size and unable to watch everything for yourself.

Stay Smart / Stay Small

·
Registered
819 Posts
ive suggested a homeowner angies list....id love to leave reviews of a few of my ex customers

ive never lost $1.....and i find wealthy customers to be by far the best customers out there....only met 2 bad rich people in the 8 years ive been in business and they were both 5+ years ago now....i am most likely avoiding them now w/o knowing it

problem with a dead beat list is getting sued.....dead beats will gladly spend $ to take you to court

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
As far as legal action goes, you are protected by freedom of speech to tell the whole world when someone owes you money and they haven't paid you. Creditors do it all the time.

I'm sure that if you hacked up their house with a botched remodel job, they would have no problem telling the whole world about you.

Reactions: jproffer
1 - 20 of 45 Posts