Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to do my first job using the DE-KOR Outdoor Recessed Lights. Can someone please help with the optimum spacing between lights when they are using in an under railing application?

I will have them in 5, 6, 7, and 8 foot sections of rail and I am really struggling with how many lights to use in each situation, since I have not used them before.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,377 Posts
I like to put LV lites on each rail section or every other one redgardless of lengths of different rails. Of course what the customers gets is what the customer pays for so it's their decision 99% of the time. Same with stairs, every kickboard or every other one.

·
Banned
28 Posts
The Dekor lights are very direction LED's. They don't have a lot of "spread" on them. Are you placing the lights in the top rail or the bottom rail? If you are placing them in the top rail I would ball-park about every 30-36 inches. If you are placing in the bottom rail, well, I probably would put them there unless you plan on using a dimmer. You will get hot spots.

Also I would recommend a little "super glue" for the lens filters. They don't stay very well when placed upside down for a long period. These filters really do a nice job of softening the light.

Good luck, these are sweet little lights with a nice warm color from the LED's (not the blue that you see in cheap Christmas tree lights).

·
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun
1,763 Posts
We use a lil clear silicone with the lenses...

2 lights (top rail, pointed down) per 6-8' railing.
1 light per <6' rail.

Nice and simple.
No lights in the rails on steps, we use riser lights there, or surface post-mount.

HTH,
~Matt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spacing...

Matt:

That seems like a good guideline. So, does that space them about 2.5 - 3 feet apart depending on the railing section?

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Dekor lights are very direction LED's. They don't have a lot of "spread" on them. Are you placing the lights in the top rail or the bottom rail? If you are placing them in the top rail I would ball-park about every 30-36 inches. If you are placing in the bottom rail, well, I probably would put them there unless you plan on using a dimmer. You will get hot spots.

Also I would recommend a little "super glue" for the lens filters. They don't stay very well when placed upside down for a long period. These filters really do a nice job of softening the light.

Good luck, these are sweet little lights with a nice warm color from the LED's (not the blue that you see in cheap Christmas tree lights).[/quote]

I would say the opposite.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We use a lil clear silicone with the lenses...

2 lights (top rail, pointed down) per 6-8' railing.
1 light per <6' rail.

Nice and simple.
No lights in the rails on steps, we use riser lights there, or surface post-mount.

HTH,
~Matt
Matt:

If the deck is mostly 6 and 8 foot sections that would get 2 lights each, what would you do with a couple of 5 foot sections? Would you use 2 lights to keep everything looking the same or only one?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts