Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
New General Contractor
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned in a bid for $11,700 for 5,480 linear feet of pressure washing a condo complex. It is 15 buildings all siding and we have to pressure wash them all. They are 75'X108' with the front being 25 feet high and the back about 38 feet high. They are A frames.

We don't normally do this type of work but times are tough and I had a few hours to turn in a bid and so I went with the linear foot price of $2.15 per linear foot.

Question:

Given the buildings are as tall as 35-40 feet high did I screw myself royally by doing it by linear foot? If I actually calculate the sq/ft it comes out to about 177,480 sf, did I screw up somewhere?

Assistance is greatly appreceated.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
I just turned in a bid for $11,700 for 5,480 linear feet of pressure washing a condo complex. It is 15 buildings all siding and we have to pressure wash them all. They are 75'X108' with the front being 25 feet high and the back about 38 feet high. They are A frames.

We don't normally do this type of work but times are tough and I had a few hours to turn in a bid and so I went with the linear foot price of $2.15 per linear foot.

Question:

Given the buildings are as tall as 35-40 feet high did I screw myself royally by doing it by linear foot? If I actually calculate the sq/ft it comes out to about 177,480 sf, did I screw up somewhere?

Assistance is greatly appreceated.
Sub it to some one for $11,699 and consider your self lucky?

·
New General Contractor
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL- so I did screw myself? I will take the hit as we have done other work for this property management company that has about 18 large properties in Northern VA, but shut, the last thing i needed was to hose myself this way. I guess that is what i get for sticking my nose into something I know little to nothing about.

How would I have done this differently? What is a more adequate bid? And more importantly.......

.......RBS, do you want the job?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
We have no way of knowing if you screwed yourself, as we don't know what material you're cleaning, how dirty it is, how much you pay your employees, or a host of other things. That said, it sounds like you're charging around $780/building, and I'd think it'd take at least two days for each building, so if you're happy grossing less than $400/day for your efforts you're fine- otherwise, you're screwed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You have a choice to make, do it the same way you have been, and loose your shirt, or find a way to get it done much faster and make a profit. I'd find a way to do it faster, myself. Its a time to grow and be more efficient in your business.

Ideas; double the spray heads on the wands so the swath is 4 feet wide instead of 2, increase the psi and volume so it goes faster, rent a high lift instead of using ladders. There must be dozens of ways to double triple or quadruple the spray rate per hour and turn this job into a highly profitable one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts