Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Store Owner
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:furious:

One of my contractor customers bought 6 gal of a dark red in Super Spec Eggshell. He's whining because it took 3 coats to cover. Like thats my fault or something. :censored: I told him to buy Aura so he wouldnt need 3 coats.....he didnt want to spend the money, now hes whining because of the extra material and labor for the 3rd coat.

First,....dark colors....I typically lose money on, it sucks for me and my customer, it costs me more to sell the product, and works equally crappy for them. I pay $12.05 for deep base super spec eggshell...the tint cost was $13.53 per gal costing $25.58.....I only charge $21.99 per gal :rolleyes: so I lost money.

Now 6 x 21.99 = $131.94 ( super spec @ 3 coats plus primer)
Aura $47 x 3 = $141 ( and one less coat and no primer )

Where did he save? I would have not lost as much selling him less paint!!!! Some people just dont get it, they try and go cheap, and act like the store is getting rich off them. Yeah, thats it, im secretly a millionaire and paint only costs me .50c per gal...I make tons of money, yeah right.

Ok I feel better, somehow mashing keyboard buttons always makes things better :w00t:

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
One thing I have learned in life is most people don't get it.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
You would think a contractor (GC I assume) would know and understand about the difficulties of painting really dark colors.

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
Some people have a hard time taking advise. This guy was probably mad at himself and decided to take it out on you. You directed him towards the correct product and he failed to listen. It cost him more money (you forgot to include cost of primer), twice the labor, and a second trip to your store. I'm sure it boils down to a pride thing. Don't take it personal.

·
Store Owner
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In this business...I dont take anything personal. I think guys dont like advice because they think they're gonna get screwed, or we ( the store ) is trying to rip them off. At least at my store, thats not the case. I need you all as contractors, to stay busy, and be profitable. I know its hard in this economy, but everyone needs to work together. I look at it like a partnership, I help you, you help me...and round and round we go. Some people are just stubborn I guess, oh well :blink::no:

·
Knowledgeable Tinter!
65 Posts
Tell them (GC's) the price of "Real" paints!

Hi NCPaint!,

At our humble abode, we overlap Sikkens with ya!!
(what's your L & S at now?? PM me if ya want...)

We don't do much Contractor business here. We don't really stock a "Contractor" line, other than ACE Quality-Touch, but I feel your pain on some matters!!
We do have to "educate" many customers though, when it comes to handling "Reds". We don't let-'em out the door without Gray primer...

Re: my subject line-
I've been trying-out some FPE paints at the store. WOW...ONE coat of their Matte Eurolux "Wine Red" covered a WHITE board...completely. Never seen anything like it...
The price...$110 for a 2.5L "eurogallon":innocent:.
I wonder how many GC's would go for that?!?!
:scooter:

Faron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts