Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I open my new issue of Professional Builder and right inside the cover is an ad for DAP SmartBond, a polyurethane subfloor adhesive. One 20 oz can does the equivalent of eight 28 oz tubes of conventional glue, enough for 12 sheets. Has anybody seen or used this yet? It looks like there's an extension tube for it so you could apply it while standing.

I would like to know how it performs in the field under different conditions like heat or cold or wet. Probably also some idea on cost.

It almost sounds too good to be true. :whistling

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's like an aerosol Gorilla Glue. Eight times the coverage and 25% faster.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
20 bucks a can. Available "exclusively" at HD. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Yeah, I asked about it when I saw that too.

The paint guy said the rep knew nothing about it.

Doesn't sound like it's off to a promising start when the DAP rep doesn't have any info on it...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the update

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I also noticed it was exclusive at Home Depot. Then I saw a demonstation can at a lumberyard.
It went on like foam, but then deflated quickly and seemed to be a very thin layer of glue left.
I was thinking that if the glue guy got ahead of the guys laying down sheets, the Dap would shrink down and not be as effective.
I don't know though.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
How well does it clean up? Subfloor tubes can be a pain.
What we've done is keep some cheap plastic sandwich bags and put one around the plunger so when a tube blows up, we can pull off the plastic and not have to clean it up.

Learned that the hard way. Otherwise it hasn't been any trouble at all. Been using it for a year now.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I think it shows the adhesive strength of smartbond is more than enough for subfloors. If you can get that much strength with less tubes, then all the better.

If you look up the guys whole write up on it he explains why pl400 doesn't work with advantech. The glue in advantech and pl400 don't work together. He also says he switched to pl premium and the only reason he switched to dap was because it was cheaper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.