Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Am I missing where the pictures are?

Oh and the picture where it says the brickwork was $23 a sq.ft., how many bricks were in a sq.? They say 23 a sq. ft. like its alot. I just priced a garage with nothing fancy bricks at about that.

marketing, lol...

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Am I missing where the pictures are?

It is a bit confusing,the picture is missing from the online version. In the paper they had a photo of one brick in a wood mold.

I believe the author bounced around between installed and material only however, the photo showed one brick hand molded for six bucks. Maybe our U.K. buddy will weigh in,I'm sure he may have ran across something there.

·
Knows less all the time
398 Posts
Even our factory has started making facing bricks. I am against the idea but even myself use them in certain places, mostly covering beams.
Will post picture.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
A few picts.
Brick Brickwork Wall Wood Wood stain

Brickwork Brick Wall Stone wall Bricklayer

Reactions: fjn

·
Smarter than the brick...
298 Posts
...and where do they get $2.70 per sq.ft.? You can't buy the cheapest brick out there for that. Add mud and labor ? I think the author is ill informed.
You obviously haven't seen what the Mexican's will do it for around here....there is a corporate builder here that runs ads on craigslist from time to time paying $260 per K, @ 5.25 brick per sq ft they're probably getting it done close to $3 per ft....

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thank you for finding / posting the pictures ! There are a few companies in the U.S. that still make Norman brick (2.25" x 3.58" x 11.58 " ) AN even smaller number make a Roman (1.58" x 3.58" x 11.58") No company I know in U.S. makes the size of the Danish co. When they see the six bucks a piece they might :laughing:

Just some trivia, Frank Loyd Wright loved to use Roman brick,he would require the head joints to be struck and the beds raked. That would give the building a more horizontal look. He would have killed to have such long brick.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
who rakes exterior walls anymore?

·
Registered
Brickwork
1,113 Posts
Never seen those bricks before. There is a bond known as Flying Flemish which makes the bricks look longer. I've only ever done it years ago at college.
It's a wall built in Monk bond shown below, but the head joints below and above the headers are blanked out with coloured mortar, and then the wall is pointed with white mortar. The stretchers appear to be double their length.
Brickwork Brick Wall Stone wall Bricklayer

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Facts about Petersen bricks

WATERSTRUCK, COAL-FIRED BRICKS
The brickworks' waterstruck, coal-fired bricks are produced on machines emulating the way in which bricks are made by hand. This results in non-uniform bricks.
The bricks are manufactured by pressing a wet lump of clay into a wet wooden mould. The excess clay is removed, and by using water as release agent, the mould can be lifted off, leaving the soft brick.
As the only brickworks in Denmark, Petersen Tegl fires its bricks with coal. The method is demanding, yet necessary to achieve the colour play in light and dark shades. As a result of the firing method, minimal dimension variations and cracks may occur but these are irrelevant for the durability of the bricks.
The range of coal-fired bricks includes 31 bricks in a wealth of colours. Furthermore, the brickworks manufactures bricks in special colours, exactly according to the customers' requests.

BRICKS AND FROST
Petersen Tegl's bricks are frost resistant. We primarily use clay from the brickworks' local surroundings where clay has been dug for brick production for several hundred years.
At the brickworks, the clay is pugged, moulded and pressed using techniques which emulate the processing method used when all work was performed by hand.
The method gives the clay the best possible texture with capillaries and air voids allowing the water to expand when it freezes without damaging the brick. The mere fact that bricks can absorb water does therefore not involve a risk of frost damage.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
these brick are 20"'s long, 4"'s wide, and an inch n' a half high
Soil Rock Asphalt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts