Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Kowboy
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every decade or so, I manage to make a complete fool of myself. Yesterday was the day.

I tore out nasty shower walls and installed new ¼” Corian panels for a customer last month. I had to return yesterday to install some custom window trim and finish caulking after the tub reglaze guys did their thing. I asked the customer if the plumber had returned to install the longer screws in the escutcheon covering the new valve he installed. He had not. In twenty minutes of trying, I could only get in one of the two screws. Apparently he roughed in the valve too deep.

This is really irritating me. :furious: This guy has had a month to make this call-back and because he hasn’t, this customer could sit on the fifteen hundred bucks she owes me that I planned to collect today. A guy I subbed for once had customers hold his seven thousand dollar balance due over a 1” piece of tile. I can’t say I blame them, but it does happen.

Since it’s Saturday, the lady at the plumber’s answering service asks what is my emergency when I call. I tell her I’m about to experience a blockage of fifteen hundred dollars due to their irresponsibility. She is not amused, but forwards my number to my plumber. He calls right back, apologizes for the delay and agrees to come right over. He understands my frustration at possibly having my payment delayed through no fault of my own. This is why I hired a pro, right?

I continue stewing while working and Gary shows up soon. I am really glad to see him and tell him so. He steps onto the tarp protecting the tub, squats down, and without even removing the screw from the hole says “There it is.” And screws the damn thing in!

I couldn’t believe my eyes. I battled with that damn screw for twenty minutes and couldn’t get it to start and he screws it in on the first try? I can’t rebuild a motor, but I’ve made a nice living as a remodeler for thirty years, so I must have some mechanical aptitude. Too bad my mechanical ability is not as good as my ability to jump to conclusions. I’ve tied my panties in a knot and blamed others for my mistake.:blush::blush:

I immediately issue an apology and offer Gary payment for his time. He graciously declines and says, “I wanted an excuse to get out of the house anyway.” “You can keep these” he says smiling, and hands me the longer screws.

The customer was delighted and I collected my money. Thanks, Gary.

Kowboy

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
Cool. Just cool. Yeah I have been in similar situations. I can't do something then someone steps in and does it on the first try.

Cool post :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,512 Posts
Sounds like you needed to step back from the screw and take a breather.

I had something similar happen, only with a computer program. Fought with it all night trying to get a kitchen rendered. Finally gave up early in the morning. Woke up the next day and went at it again. Totally different, 15 minutes later and I was done.

One foolish act a decade? Sounds like you do pretty good.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Lol sounds similer to something that happend to me a few weeks ago. I was at a beach house we stay at every year and i cant get the dam TV to turn on in the Games room and spend 2 hours messing with it and reconnecting all the cables and reseting everything so that the kids could play on the PS3 and i know my shi% when it comes to home AV equipment but i still couldnt get it working. Well 15 mins later i go back in the room and my farther in law is watching TV and im likw WTF how did you get that on. He said i dont know i just truned it on :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::censored:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
A screw-up screw-up. :clap::laughing:
I love it!
Good for you, sucking it up
and apologizing to the guy.

·
Kowboy
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Every decade or so, I manage to make a complete fool of myself

Thats not bad odds if you ask me.
Mike:

I'm only counting the big ones. In 2000, the diciplinarian for the Toledo Public Schools, while standing in my showroom, overheard my profanity-laced diatribe in my shop. I covered my eyes when I finally spoke to her, I was so mortified. She bought a top from me though.

Kowboy

·
Registered
514 Posts
:clap: I gotta say I really enjoyed this post. I don't know how many times I've done things like this and put my foot in my mouth.

I'm sure we all do it once in a while.....except Finley of course :w00t:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts