Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend asked me to come take a look at his roof. I'm not an expert on roofing, but I've roofed a dozen homes and numerous garages.

The roof is on a Heritage Homes pre-fab house. They are out of Nebraska. It was pretty obvious to me that he had some defective bundles of shingles, because the very curly ones were in a stair step pattern, then straight across the roof. Obviously the roofer had a bundle or two of bad shingles and he roofed up a starter area, then came through with maybe 4 courses of the bad shingles a good piece down the roof.

He isn't having any luck getting Heritage to stand behind the warranty. Does it matter, isn't this a matter for his homeowner's insurance to reimburse him for, then they can go after the shingle manufacturer or the builder?

The roof is 13 years old and they are 3 tab shingles.

Another weird thing is that the part of the shingle exposed is a brown/rust color and the unexposed (now exposed in places) is a dark gray color. I can't for the life of me remember ever working with any two-toned shingles. It looks almost like they roofed the house with the dark gray shingles, then sprayed it with the brown/rust color granules.

Of course his gutters are full of granules.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
A lot of those prefab cos bout up truckloads of ikos that suppliers were dumping both good and bad. We get calls for houses built past the date everyone knew they were bad and its. Cause they had them stockpiled

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Sounds like a 15 year shingle. Those generally last 10 or 12 years. It's time for the HO to buy a new roof. Expecting a manufacturer to do anything on a 13 year old roof is dreaming. Of course, at this point you don't even know who the manufacturer is.

Insurance companies don't warranty a job. In any event, curled shingles are not a sudden loss, it happened over time. That type of issue is not insurable either.

Do you provide a warranty on your work that covers all the materials and lasts 13 or more years?

Reactions: Mr Latone

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
The two tone thing is common. The covered part of the shingle is often differnt than the exposed portion.

Even if the shingle were a 25 year warranty, it's pro-rated for the shingle material only. Additionally, the manufacturer could warranty only the defective shingles, no labor at all.

So for all it's worth, you get maybe a square of defective shingles replaced at 50% of their value. That would be a whopping $37 or so :laughing:

Yeah, ain't it great.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Expecting a manufacturer to do anything on a 13 year old roof is dreaming.
Additionally, the manufacturer could warranty only the defective shingles, no labor at all.

So for all it's worth, you get maybe a square of defective shingles replaced at 50% of their value. That would be a whopping $37 or so :laughing:

Yeah, ain't it great.
It takes a rather large class action law suit to get any $. We were part of the Certainteed lawsuit a few years back. We had to document everything and prove that a certain portion of the roof was defective to get the full amount.

In the end we got $1600. It is a 21sq roof so it didn't even cover of the shingles. But it helped.

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
It takes a rather large class action law suit to get any $. We were part of the Certainteed lawsuit a few years back. We had to document everything and prove that a certain portion of the roof was defective to get the full amount.

In the end we got $1600. It is a 21sq roof so it didn't even cover of the shingles. But it helped.
Certainteed has had a few loser products. They paid a lot of claims on the original organic Horizon shingle.

Maybe one of the better companies when it comes to warranty support, but then again, the best warranties are those that aren't needed.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I am very impressed with Owens Corning and their warranty program. We recently submitted a quote for 18k for a roof replacement project. Owens Corning paid every cent of it.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The homeowner told me today they had looked into the warranty coverage and given up on it quite quickly.

I agree completely that warranties are worthless and the best one is one that is not necessary.

I'm wary of anyone who pitches a warranty.

·
Registered
785 Posts
BamBamm5144 said:
I am very impressed with Owens Corning and their warranty program. We recently submitted a quote for 18k for a roof replacement project. Owens Corning paid every cent of it.
That's much better luck than I had with them. They eventually payed to replace a 45 sq roof but it took a lot of action from the homeowner to get anywhere. The roof was only 5 years old so it covered everything, including labor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts