Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
90%-er
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a picture emailed to me this morning from a deck staining customer. This particular job was done by a subcontractor of mine last week.

He had gotten some overspray all over a section of vinyl siding, then used either mineral spirits or brush cleaner to wipe off the stains.

As you can see from the picture, it has done some very visible damage to whatever finish is on vinyl siding.

Is there a remedy here, short of re-siding this part of the house?

Some kind of wax or something that can bring it back to luster?

I have the check for my sub sitting on my desk....it isn't going to him until this is fixed, but I told him I'd do some research to help out.

I've also attached an image of the back of the van I think he should be driving around in after this shenanigan.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Its hard to tell from a single pic at a single angle. It looks like it might just be greasy- aka, the oil from the mineral solvents. Try a non colored degreaser, see if it helps.Blot one section. Also if the siding was old, it might have some degraded plastic.

·
90%-er
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its hard to tell from a single pic at a single angle. It looks like it might just be greasy- aka, the oil from the mineral solvents. Try a non colored degreaser, see if it helps.Blot one section. Also if the siding was old, it might have some degraded plastic.
Thanks. We'll give that a try.

Any other opinions in the CT world? This job is quite a ways out of the way, so I'd like to come fully loaded with solutions to spare.

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
If after cleaning that section doesn't work. Vinyl siding is paintable.
You could get the color matched and have the paint rep out there to spec it out and warranty it.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Ive gotten shoo fly bee spray all over someones siding a few years back all over about 4 panels. Whatever chemical that in there made the siding look exactly like yours. Nothing worked to restore back to way it was. Ended up taking siding from under the deck and switching with damaged panels. Thank god had the sideswiper with me that day. If its the homeowner that pointed this out to you you know they will never be satisfied.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Sir Mixalot said:
You could get the color matched and have the paint rep out there to spec it out and warranty it.
Maybe,
If it were me, I'd swallow the cost of a bundle of siding and have it swapped out in a couple hours.

But I'm not a painter, by trade.

It would take me longer to mask off and spray than it would to replace.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
If you're lucky, that shine is from some residue left behind by the cleaner. That's not the case if it was just mineral spirits but maybe he use goo gone or something like that. I always test a cleaner on a hidden section of siding before I go at it. I'm guessing he will too, after this.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts

no offense to you painters but for about 8$ a panel changing the damaged siding seems like a no brainer. Telling them theyre maintenance free siding they love will now have to be painted regularly is a conversation id love to hear. :blink:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
no offense to you painters but for about 8$ a panel changing the damaged siding seems like a no brainer. Telling them theyre maintenance free siding they love will now have to be painted regularly is a conversation id love to hear. :blink:
I paint and I agree I wouldn't expect the HO to accept painted siding. Mineral spirits isn't very strong but it might dull the siding, if he used brush cleaner he should have known better. Actually he should have known better than to get overspray all over the siding.

Replace the siding.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
NYGUTTERGUY said:
So by my quick math, (based on the picture) :

$150.00 for material?

I'd change it out, and flatten that vans tires if I ever saw it out. *jk*

·
90%-er
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe,
If it were me, I'd swallow the cost of a bundle of siding and have it swapped out in a couple hours.

But I'm not a painter, by trade.

It would take me longer to mask off and spray than it would to replace.
Only problem with replacement is the new stuff is definitely going to look newer. Definitely not as faded.

Ahh ****. I just feel an insurance claim coming on for re-siding a whole house.

Hopefully one of these cleaners gets the job done. Thanks for the help so far fellas

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
It looks to me like he used something hotter than paint thinner and that was just the story he gave you. My guess is he used a latex paint remover or something similar. If so the vinyl surface is melted and there is no fixing it.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
The new siding will stick out like a sore thumb for a long time, that is you can find the same siding in the same color, not to mention the replacement will probably look worst then it does now.
If this people didn't go bunkers over this yet, and they OK with paint touch up, that is the way to go based on that small area.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Scrub the crap out of it with soft scrub. And then polish with cream gel gloss polish you may want to wash the whole wall first to remove excess chalking first

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
The new siding will stick out like a sore thumb for a long time, that is you can find the same siding in the same color, not to mention the replacement will probably look worst then it does now.
If this people didn't go bunkers over this yet, and they OK with paint touch up, that is the way to go based on that small area.
Depends on the side of the home. Ive changed panels on my 10 year old certainteed mainstreet siding numerous times due to changing dryer vent location, moving a window , weed wacker, etc. I was very surprised how quick it caught up with fading in the sunny areas and how well the shady areas held up the original color so blended in perfectly. Average person couldnt spot if i told them where to look

1 - 20 of 31 Posts