Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every morning I've been watching cars and coffee.

Watching those guys get their old junk running, I started playing with my old 75 caprice again.

It ran but not good but years ago I drove it home .i got her running today yippee !! And I think she will only get better as she is driven!

On the search for tires and rims now, one more hurdle has been cleared!!

Attachments

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Drift,

I was gonna do the whole top black marbled but wasn't sure about it at the time,

I'm thinking of doing a pace car look too it edelbrock style.

The more new gas gets thru it and now it's idling pretty good. Every once in awhile she backfires and stalls but I'm quick shifting to neutral too start it lol

She will light the tires right up, huge screech from the brand new dry rotted tires. When my buddy put it away in the 80's he just backed it into the garage.

The top will never be redone, there's no one up here that will touch it.

I'm thinking of making a removable fiberglass hard top for it. Got to protect it as best I can.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
What size motor? I had a 350 bored 60 over stock with a competion cam to give a gnarly idle. Then ran 2 1/4" straight exhaust. It would idle in gear @400 r.p.m. As you can imagine, it sounded sick as hell. Luckily we dont have exhaust laws here.

I found the best burnout tires were Mastercraft brand. They don't squeal (I hate that sound) but smoke like you wouldn't believe. That's because the rubber is very hard. They will also survive quite a few burnouts.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's got a 350 in it, 66,000 miles I thought I found a set of rims and tires big white walls but the bolt pattern is wrong!!!

Lot harder than I thought it would be too find lol

I'm not mechanically inclined , I can paint and bolt on stuff but taking stuff apart is usually a death sentence it just never works out.

I'm too strong and break everything getting it apart then can't remember where it went lol

My old nova was bad ass sounding, right now I'm running the cat only do it sounds like crap

I'll put on a glass pack or two and it should be ok, I just want to cruise in it anyway. Hard too spend money on something used rarely but I've been waiting for years to do it.

My wife says to just keep cruising the yard lmao

She just don't get it, my boys love cruising in it but that's because I let them drive it lol

Maybe I should take the top down for them !!!!

·
Carpentry Services & More
9 Posts
"I'm not mechanically inclined , I can paint and bolt on stuff but taking stuff apart is usually a death sentence it just never works out.

I'm too strong and break everything getting it apart then can't remember where it went lol"

This was my problem many times, I now use my camera with many pics to show me where to put things back. Labeled containers for parts helps, especially if you only get to work on it part time.

Nice looking comfortable ride you have, I had a 1970 Impala, loved that car till it was stolen and wrecked. Insurance never came close to the replacement cost.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea that's how I do it take pics, I'm doing more and more wrenching but it's out of necessity not because I enjoy it,

I need a mechanic so I can just ride lol,

My mom and all my aunts had this kind of car except not a convertible . That's my attachment to it,

We used to take Impalas with 50 thousand on them in the pastures to use as lot cars.

Parents just bought new ones thinking they were junk.

We had some with 396's 350's then station wagons came into their own. Kings wood estates with a 400 my mom had a chevelle front end station wagon that was sinister.

I drive my van over the same terrain and beat my self too death the caprice floats over the same terrain!!

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
I cant believe no one will put a new lid on that bad boy for ya. That really sucks. Hows the interior look? Still solid? I remember when I did mine back in 97 it cost me 2 grand just to do. All I did was new door panels (with custom logo "Bad Bowtie") headliner, carpet, and refinish seats with smooth vinyl. The interior was slick back, and the stitched Bad Bowtie stood out like crazy. The owner of the shop wanted me to do a tuck and roll on the seats, two tone red & black, but I just didn't have the cash at the time.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Isn't that the car from the Brady Bunch when Greg and Marcia were competing in a driving test?

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea the Brady's had some hot old cars lol

Yea a top is 250 that's the cheap part lol, something about the frame it's on is a *****.

The Mexicans do it in their sleep but I'm too far away.

I built a fiberglass cover for it for cruising so you didn't see the top.

I figured the only time I'll be in it is when it's nice out anyway she just takes up a lot of garage space lol

I'm going too put black carpet in it and the seats are nice enough for me.

I'd love too learn upholstery, you can do a little wood work sewing Fiberglas work and it's fairly clean to do.

Starts up with me outside just turning the key go figure!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Tops arent as bad as people think to install..... tell us what exactly it is year and make wise and i can probebly find you a how-to vid

the bows are either staple to or hog ring style

Main thing is you want to spread the top out in the sun and let it get good and warm before you start.

start at the back with frame latched closed and 1/2 to front unlatch

Avoid the cheap kits with plastic windows if you can, real glass if you can, if you can make sure its a peplaceable window and not a perm to that top style

Check around with local car clubs, great way to meet people and you never know you may find someone willing to lend a hand for beers and BBQ

I hate car shows becuase it reminds me of the 8 oldcars sitting at the lake house that I havent even thought about since the last carshow or TV show

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
We have the mother of car shows this week-end. It is the largest outdoor annual show in the U.S. in terms of participants. There are cars from around the country trucked in also.

Last I hear there were about 15,000 classic and hot rods registered for the 2+ day show at the Minnesota Fairgrounds. It is required that all cars must be there and parked on the tree lined streets for the show hours on Saturday and Sunday. They arrive starting on Wednesday and Thursday. They are parked in every available building/arena there and any available garages nearby to be protected from the elements.

The viewing is great at every hotel/motel parking lot for after hours shows. they are also driving the "drivers" (not the Ferraris, Rolls, Bentlys and Bughattis) around town.

Good car looking and even better to talk to the owners at a drive-in or motel lot. Everyone seems to understand the diagonal parking and lawn chair routine.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I see the top bows are stapled down, can't see the rest though,

I do have a real glass window already,

We have a large show coming up too, 6000 cars, cops come out and ruin it!!

That's how I found out about the tops talking too people, my car is really rare I only seen a hard top and that was from Canada .

I've only seen a couple convertibles and it was junk.

It's a 75 caprice classic btw

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a cool car, I could see building a scoop for mine.

This is drag oriented where I want mine to be more pace car oriented,

In my mind it looks cool anyways

Attachments

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Been working on my Buick when i have a couple minutes. Put flowmaster exhaust on it this yr and i just put a new 4 core correct radiator in it this past Thursday. Took it to the 1st car show of my Town Thursday. Didnt win any awards but won $70 in the 50/50 raffle. Got some big bills to pay in the next couple weeks and after that i will be rebuilding the steering and replacing the steering box. Right now it is like driving a fish bowl with the worn steering linkages and bad ball joints. I also did some bartering on a 4L60E out of a 1999 chevy van to put in it. Found a supplier that makes a bell housing to bolt to the 4L60E and the 401 Nailhead and i have to buy a stand alone commander to control it. But this will drop down my 1st gear for better launches and of course over drive for better cruising. Driving the car normal it gets 15-16 mpg so it would be great to get into the 20's, awesome for a classic with a big motor.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right after I find some cheap tires, the muffler is next on the list.

That could be true duals to hack it here and put a glass pack depending how generous I am at the time!!

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No car is old enough too pass without a cat, glass packs , I had them as a kid they sound alright but your right may as well get a more tuned muffler.

It all depends on fun tickets I have when the time comes!!!

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We maybe talking about the same thing? Long red tube made by thrush?

They are loud, I had a brand new 400 dollar muffler system cut off my nova 15 minutes after I bought it.

The guys like this is a brand new system ! I'm like yea cut it here and here and put 2 of these on there . 40 bucks lol

Best sounding car I ever had, mom was with me when I bought it. She heard it in its civil tone. Picture her an hour and a half later Roaaaaaaaaaaar , roar roar rumble rumble

She worked downtown with the district attorney I picked her up one day. Those suit and tie guys **** themselves. Mom was just along for the ride at that time. Car sounded amazing with the big buildings. Mom understood horsepower that day.

I wanted to to cruise around the property but the battery is dead ,horn is back alive though and I'm too tired to deal with it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts