Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pick up a Dalluge 16 oz trim hammer, I wondering is there 20 oz decking and 21 oz framing hammers just as good?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
What is the difference between the decking and framing hammers?

I've never heard of a decking hammer.

·
Super Moderator
27,583 Posts
I thought the decking hammer had a checkered face?
You mean sheathing or decking as in deck boards? I dont use nails on deck boards, but a smooth face is for any finished product, I.e. siding, facia, window and door trim, ect...

I use a waffle head to tack roof sheeting on and for framing, although I am primarily use guns, and am usually the cut man.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so you would get the Dalluge 21 oz framing hammer? I have a Vaughan 20 oz hammer but the handle is to short.

·
Super Moderator
27,583 Posts
Ok so you would get the Dalluge 21 oz framing hammer? I have a Vaughan 20 oz hammer but the handle is to short.
I have never used a Dalluge or Vaughan. I used a 22 oz Estwing from age 13 to 27, then bought a Tibone. I like the Tibone. As little as I use a hammer (I use guns. Usually just toe nail rafters and tack sheeting and add an occasional spike by hand. As well as concrete forms, of course) I could use anything, but I like the Tibone.

I still use a 20 oz Estwing for siding and cornice, 16 oz Plumb for trim.

Considering treating myself to a 14 oz Stilleto for trim and siding. :whistling:laughing:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dalluge bulldawg 21 oz is my go to over my vaughan 19 oz and sad to say most days like it over my stiletto but mainly cause the stiletto is a curved handle

·
Registered
19 Posts
I still hand drive rafters, joists and headers to king studs but for everthing else you cant beat a hitachi 83 or hitachi coil gun for decking. I have been concidering jumping on the ti hammer bandwagon for a good siding hammer. Got a bunch of wavy cedar to put up next week.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The 16oz titanium dalluge is a great framing hammer. Not that anyone should need to do so these days, but you can drive 16s or 20s all day long with it if you need to - no need for a 20oz or other steel hammer. I'm at least as efficient with it as I was with my 22oz Estwing, and my hips and wrists feel better at the end of the day.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Dalluge hammers have an awesome balance and is the best steel / wooden handle combo still in production the milled faces take FOREVER to flatten out I am the proud owner of a 21 oz framer just excellent their quality is bar none in handles and steel mu 21 oz swings like a 19 oz Vaughan but is 2 ounces heavier I might pick up a 16 oz trim hammer myself for those rare occasions i do delicate work . Their titanium hammers are the best wood handle ti hammers not china made , broken handle every week like the stilettos also all dalluges are made in the USA by vaughan

PICTURE : my two favorite hammers in the world

Attachments

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,014 Posts
I didn't know about decking hammers till I read this. One more thing to add to the tool tab.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts