Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,033 Posts
I thought the decking hammer had a checkered face?
You mean sheathing or decking as in deck boards? I dont use nails on deck boards, but a smooth face is for any finished product, I.e. siding, facia, window and door trim, ect...

I use a waffle head to tack roof sheeting on and for framing, although I am primarily use guns, and am usually the cut man.

·
Super Moderator
30,033 Posts
Ok so you would get the Dalluge 21 oz framing hammer? I have a Vaughan 20 oz hammer but the handle is to short.
I have never used a Dalluge or Vaughan. I used a 22 oz Estwing from age 13 to 27, then bought a Tibone. I like the Tibone. As little as I use a hammer (I use guns. Usually just toe nail rafters and tack sheeting and add an occasional spike by hand. As well as concrete forms, of course) I could use anything, but I like the Tibone.

I still use a 20 oz Estwing for siding and cornice, 16 oz Plumb for trim.

Considering treating myself to a 14 oz Stilleto for trim and siding. :whistling:laughing:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I still hand drive rafters, joists and headers to king studs but for everthing else you cant beat a hitachi 83 or hitachi coil gun for decking. I have been concidering jumping on the ti hammer bandwagon for a good siding hammer. Got a bunch of wavy cedar to put up next week.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The 16oz titanium dalluge is a great framing hammer. Not that anyone should need to do so these days, but you can drive 16s or 20s all day long with it if you need to - no need for a 20oz or other steel hammer. I'm at least as efficient with it as I was with my 22oz Estwing, and my hips and wrists feel better at the end of the day.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Dalluge hammers have an awesome balance and is the best steel / wooden handle combo still in production the milled faces take FOREVER to flatten out I am the proud owner of a 21 oz framer just excellent their quality is bar none in handles and steel mu 21 oz swings like a 19 oz Vaughan but is 2 ounces heavier I might pick up a 16 oz trim hammer myself for those rare occasions i do delicate work . Their titanium hammers are the best wood handle ti hammers not china made , broken handle every week like the stilettos also all dalluges are made in the USA by vaughan

PICTURE : my two favorite hammers in the world

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts