Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys keep track of your daily activity for later billing/record keeping? Logbook, some type of daily form, etc???

I'm talking from the standpoint of an owner keeping track of my time, what I did, where I drove and how much, etc.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
About a year ago I got very serious about tracking my time and tested a bunch of apps. I settled on Gleeo for an app. It has an export feature which is handy for saving your tracking on your computer for later review.

I also created two calenders on my Google calender, one for scheduling jobs and then another one where I would record the actual hours so I could track my accuracy and try to improve my estimates.

It all worked well but after six months I ended up ditching almost all of my apps and gadgets and switched to a piece of paper folded in quarters which I keep in my back pocket. I have one panel for a to-do list, one for a shopping list and one for tracking hours. I start a new piece of paper each night and save them for a couple weeks in a folder. It's a lot easier and more reliable.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Daily Log SOP on commercial jobs and large residential projects.

Provides a record of weather, deliveries, discrepancies/issues that arise, inspections, who's on the job with what man power, change orders/RFI's/RFP's and daily progress.

Invaluable for preventing/resolving disputes or concerns that may come up.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
However you record it, make sure the method will stand up in court.

Punched pages in a 3-ring binder ain't gonna cut it.

Trust me on this. Been there, done that.

Reactions: griz

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I use timeclock app in the android marketplace. Been wanting something that I could track my one employee's time with too so I may check out T-sheets. If it was just me timeclock would be perfect, lets me track time and expenses.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
However you record it, make sure the method will stand up in court.

Punched pages in a 3-ring binder ain't gonna cut it.

Trust me on this. Been there, done that.
You are correct. Bound book with no missing pages.

Daily longhand book, computer version not readily acceptable in court.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
He's a solo guy looking to keep track of his own time. He could write it in a My Little Pony book with a crayon. He shouldn't be getting far enough behind on anything T&M that court would even be worthwhile.

If he starts doing commercial then he should revise his system to something more appropriate.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
He's a solo guy looking to keep track of his own time. He could write it in a My Little Pony book with a crayon. He shouldn't be getting far enough behind on anything T&M that court would even be worthwhile.

If he starts doing commercial then he should revise his system to something more appropriate.
That is true....however many residential guys I know are now using a commercial type bound book on their projects. No matter what the project a daily hand written record will help resolve issues and provide evidence of what transpired on the job.

·
Super Moderator
28,863 Posts
We use a daily log written by the lead or myself.

Good point about a bound book. Ill be making the switch on my next commercial project.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I still do mine longhand. Custom-printed book from FedEx Office.

Four of these per sheet:

That is a dandy little book----I think a column for purchases/payouts would be a useful addition.

Spencer---log your sell/estimating time----you may be surprised by the time spent----

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
This is something that I need to start doing. Up to this point, I've been relying solely on my memory and whatever I put on estimates and invoices.

Every now and then I'll have a situation where I'll go back to an old unfinished job and, neither the HO nor I remember what we agreed to or what was promised.:blink: I'm fortunate to have clients that I can trust and clients that trust me so if there is ever a misunderstanding we always give each other the benefit of the doubt.

But now I realize that I need to start logging these conversations just for my own level of professionalism even if I never have any conflicts.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,622 Posts
I don't really do it for record keeping, other than mileage. Every morning when I get into my truck I write down the business mileage and where I went. As a bonus to me I write down what I did that day.

It has come in handy tracking some things down or timed events. I don't ever plan on using it in court as I am a one man show.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I put my hours into google calendar.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is something that I need to start doing. Up to this point, I've been relying solely on my memory and whatever I put on estimates and invoices.

Every now and then I'll have a situation where I'll go back to an old unfinished job and, neither the HO nor I remember what we agreed to or what was promised.:blink: I'm fortunate to have clients that I can trust and clients that trust me so if there is ever a misunderstanding we always give each other the benefit of the doubt.

But now I realize that I need to start logging these conversations just for my own level of professionalism even if I never have any conflicts.
I'm surprised you haven't had problems. I have found with my current job that even when I give people a very direct black and white price, I'll do the project and they'll come back and say, "What? 50 bucks. I thought you said 30."

I've have learned that people can have very selective hearing and often hear what they want to hear. It is good to have something down in writing. Even just an email that you can go back to is better than a presumed verbal understanding.

Not don't mean this in an offensive way so please don't take it that way, but my old boss used to operate like that and he is out of business. Someone is losing in situations like you are talking about and I think more often than not it is the contractor. My ex boss is exactly the way you describe yourself, trustworthy and people trusted him, but the lack of organization caused him to take it on the chin constantly. I could go on and on about that...I'll stop.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts