Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I put a bad gouge on bucket cylinder on my Hyundai. Mechanic disassembled it, filed off rough edges.

Asked if I wanted a new piston for $3500.00, or try JB weld. Piston was at least a week out, told him to JB it to get me by.

Traded machine 3,4 years later, and was still hanging in there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
how did you pop the ram back into the cylinder . were able to use a dead blow or sledge hammer . my last one i used a combination of come-along and beating . I have to do one of the mast cylinders on my hoe .will do it in place i guess .it is big .

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Asked if I wanted a new piston for $3500.00, or try JB weld. Piston was at least a week out, told him to JB it to get me by.
Years ago I was riding to work w/a fellow iron worker @ the time. Running late, he cut through a gas station to avoid the light. Ran over 1 of the caps where they fill tanks. Cracked oil pan. That afternoon we drained pan, cleaned it up & JB welded it. Never leaked again. That chit was magic

Mike

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
how did you pop the ram back into the cylinder . were able to use a dead blow or sledge hammer . my last one i used a combination of come-along and beating . I have to do one of the mast cylinders on my hoe .will do it in place i guess .it is big .
Should just push back into the barrel, shouldn't it? No pounding. Mine always did. As long as hose removed on backside of packing gland so no valve to hold pressure, it should go in easy?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Contractor
7,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree with Gene.

Open the lines to the cylinder and you'll eliminate the pressure that stops the piston from sliding in.
I also lube everything up really well. I did all of this work myself, no help today. Didn't need it. 4" bore maybe 4' long, as long as the weight doesn't get out of hand, I'll tackle this size all the time.

The most difficult part was figuring out how to break the nut free on the piston, then retorque it...850 ft./lbs.

I removed the ram, pinned it back onto the boom, strapped it tight with a racket strap. Then a 5 foot pipe on my 3/4" ratchet. Same thing in reverse to get 'er torqued up.

Thinking back, the only time I had to strap and hammer a ram back in, I messed up the seal on the piston. I have learned new techniques since.

I'll share if you wish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts