Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am presently working up a proposal for the install of some low voltage cabling for a older house. There is just no easy way to fish cables to the locations and the homeowner said it was OK to penetrate the outside wall to run the cables around the house and then penetrate again to a 2nd floor bedroom. This has already been done by others in the past so the looks will not change much.

Besides (in my eye) it looking like crap it will work. My only concern (among many) is that where I penetrate the wall what would be the best way to protect from future water penetration of the wall??? My first thought would be silicone and then I thought a pvc electrical box with some pipe to a corner and then free run it from there.

I do want to make this as good as possible but there is just so much that can be done.

Also I thought of placing the following paragraph as part of the proposal that would be initialed and signed by the homeowner. Are there other words that should be included?? I just want to do a good CYA here.:rolleyes:

The cables will penetrate the wall of the house as you had requested. The exterior penetration will be caulked with silicone and covered with PVC electrical box to prevent moisture penetration on the exterior walls. However it is understood by you the homeowner that this is not the desired method of installing cable by the installing company. Any and all risk of future damage to structure by moisture as it relates to these penetration is totally the responsibility of you the home owner.

I know I am looking at some serious problems if all goes wrong that is why I am looking for a little extra thoughts on the topic.
:notworthy

Thanks in advance to all that reply.

Les

·
Registered
428 Posts
concealed

you sure there is no way to conceal everything or is it the owner doesn't have enough to pay you to conceal it? Only reason I am asking is only maybe 5% or less of the time we can't get it to places concealed. Did you rule out the up the plumbing channel to attic and down to second floor and basement and up to first? Through closets, etc.... We ran 30 cir. through an old victorian home with lath/plaster/brick and kept it all hidden once. Just a bunch of notching, channeling. Time consuming as hell ??? but possible. How many drops and type of house and all that??

·
Registered
391 Posts
Have a sheet metal contractor whip you out some custom covers and seal them over your penetrations and seal the penetrations as well. Double protection. I have done something similar but not the same before using a dryer vent from the hardware that I cut to fit with my rotozip.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you sure there is no way to conceal everything or is it the owner doesn't have enough to pay you to conceal it? Only reason I am asking is only maybe 5% or less of the time we can't get it to places concealed. Did you rule out the up the plumbing channel to attic and down to second floor and basement and up to first? Through closets, etc.... We ran 30 cir. through an old victorian home with lath/plaster/brick and kept it all hidden once. Just a bunch of notching, channeling. Time consuming as hell ??? but possible. How many drops and type of house and all that??

I would have to say that he does not want to pay to have a good job done.

The one cable run is a add on that is sitting on a slab. Which is next to another portion of the house that has an inaccessible crawlspace.

The biggest problem is that someone in the past did it this way and he is of the mind set that "well that worked" so lets do that again.

I have done a considerable amount of fishing wires in places that even amaze me. I would like to do this in some clean way but I want to get paid as well.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mac, nice idea but a little on the large side for two 5/16" dia. cables. Does give me some ideas which is what I was hoping I would get here.

Thanks,

Les

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,293 Posts
probably the most important thing is to have a proper drip loop,then typically i see a plastic grommet installed
Absolutely. That one little detail sets a pro install apart from amateur. With a good drip loop, you have less potential for water entry than if you just had an open hole a little larger than the cable. IOW, virtually none. :thumbsup:

Les, I'm running a little light this week. Depending on when/where, I'd be happy to stop by for a howdy and some brainstorming. PM me if you want.

·
Registered
391 Posts
This is what I'm talking about for you. Sill Plate. They are pretty small. Go ahead and do a drip loop and come up into one of these. Sold wherever many fine Bridgeport or Appleton products can be found..... I'm sick today. Couldn't remember what they were called......

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what I'm talking about for you. Sill Plate. They are pretty small. Go ahead and do a drip loop and come up into one of these. Sold wherever many fine Bridgeport or Appleton products can be found..... I'm sick today. Couldn't remember what they were called......

Much more doABLE. I have seen them.................somewhere.

I need to check local supply house.

Thanks that's a keeper.

Les

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only thing I could add is I'd have to be straight up with the guy in the contract, since he's going this route, you cannot garuntee no water penetration.

Yes I have to make that very clear. Hence the text in the original post to be added to the proposal.

I just hope it is clear enough.

Les

·
Registered
36 Posts
Run, run away and runaway fast. A good construction defect lawyer will eat this up. You being a pro know that this is wrong and you do it anyway because the H.O. was okay with it. Better have good insurance.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Run, run away and runaway fast. A good construction defect lawyer will eat this up. You being a pro know that this is wrong and you do it anyway because the H.O. was okay with it. Better have good insurance.

I hear you, but you have not seen this place. It would be one thing if the house would not have this same kind of wiring practice for the past 5 years. I am not making it any worse just matching what is already in place. I am just going to try and do my part in the best way possible.

Thanks for you concern.

Les

1 - 15 of 15 Posts