Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a customer, what are we looking for in a website? I would think that we are looking for the easiest and fastest way to get answers. That would mean cutting through the rhetoric and generic phrases such as "we get the job done right- the first time!" Naw...you probly have to come back 3 or 4 times to get the job done, I would think :whistling.

My website I feel needs a makeover. It has all too much rhetoric and generic mumbo jumbo that it bores you to sleep before you can pick up the phone to call.

I didn't make the website. I have a guy in mind that I would like to create or at least redo my current site. I'm really just curious what tips and constructive critisms you all might have for me...Thanks!:party:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thinking like a customer is great. Look at the phone book for ads in your field. Look at how often the same theme is pounded by most.

Look at websites you like. They don't have to be in your field, just look at what and why you like x over y website. Be creative, but not for the sake of being creative.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
306 Posts
If I was shopping for a contractor, Id appreciate a site without the rhetoric. If I came across such a site, that was sincere and "humble". That s who I would call. Problem is... i m a contractor, I don t think like a customer. Most of the time, I have a hard time guessing what the customer is thinking. I try to tell it the way it is. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn t.

Another problem is, you have to fill all that space that s normally filled in with BS. Maybe you can post more pictures of your work.

One site that a local "Home Improvement" contractor has. Uses a lot of links that a homeowner could use to get info. He also has a lot of useful info that's presented as "infomercials", of course he plugs himself through out. Home owner maintenance schedule, benefit of energy efficient windows, benefit of gutters, so and so forth. Personally I despise the guy, most carpenters here do. He pays his monkeys peanuts, He's a city slicker, Carries more weight in jewelery on him, then I have in tools in my belt. Most of all I hate him, cause he's busy. Mostly because he self-promotes ad nauseam.

Some of the stuff on his site though is well thought out, once you get past all his BS and "testimonials". If I ever get a web site up and running I would probably borrow some of his ideas. Just have to tailor it, more to the type of work I do. Heh, imitation is the highest form of flattery. Guess I have to give him some due.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am currently building highly effective websites with all the tools to collect and retain clients. Pro Builders is on a marketing campaign without the budget to afford website remodeling, but I suspect that soon the lost sales will begin to take a toll of their own (not to mention thousands lost to service magic).

An effective website is one that has a strong call to action, provides something interesting and unique to the searcher and stays away from "brochure talk." It would be best for web designers with fancy graphics to learn how to create websites that move customers to hand you money, but they wouldn't be web designers then. They would be internet marketers, and they would increase your business.

One more thing to one of the mods...is there any way that I could get my username changed from Pro Builder (my client's account that he is allowing me to use) to something more appropriate to my line of work?

I will be sure to change the trade from "General Contractor" to something more fitting. I can barely hit a nail with a hammer. lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts