Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to excavate an 8x12 slab foundation, but have discovered an extensive root system covering the entire area. Thought to cut through using a Ditch Witch trencher, but that is getting nowhere. (Barely scratching the surface before it gets snagged & stalls...) I'm more likely to throw my back out using the trencher than trying it by hand.

The area is somewhat tight, between two mid sized magnolias - and while I'm sure some of the roots are from the trees, most are from some overgrown shrubs we cut back a while ago when we installed a fence for the same HO. The majority of the roots are thin - the thickest being only about thumb sized in diameter.

Since this is in a back yard, I can't get any really heavy equipment back there.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Is the best solution to simply hire several strong young guys & let them hack away with mattocks, axes & shovels?

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought about a bobcat - but am concerned it would tear up the rest of the yard too much. Also thought about a mini-excavator, but wonder if it has enough oomph to do the job.

·
Registered
95 Posts
small mini excavator?? If it won't fit... Three bottles of poweraide, a shovel, an axe? I know which I'd rather use.:w00t::w00t:

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
You can get a real badass 14" demo blade for cutoff saws. They have gnarly carbide teeth and will cut just about ANYTHING. In fact, root cutting is one of the recommended uses for the blade.

I can't find the link. Maybe someone else has it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Mini Ex, and look around your property for other things to use it for while its there,moving materials, new gravel, tree or stump removal etc.
If your time is worth anything they're well worth the $

·
Box Builder
6,315 Posts
Mini ex will dig that out no prob. Get the biggest one you can fit and move in the area easily. You can walk it out on 2x12's or plywood if you are worried about tearing stuff up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts