Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to cut some tempered glass, but so far, no luck.

It cuts, but the whole piece shatters, looking like a dry river bed.

Are there any tricks to do this successfully?

---
Ken

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Ken,

I don't think you are able to cut tempered glass. If you did, you only got lucky. The nature of tempered glass doesn't allow it to be altered. So how is it "cut" in the first place? Before it's actually tempered. I asked my glass guy if there is any way to cut it. Well there is. First, you have to anneal it....untemper if you will. That is a big process in itself. Then there's the question of how to temper again. It sounds like too big of a project so I never even asked about that part.

I have seen floating around on the internet something about laser cutting tempered glass. :sad:

Bottom line, I wouldn't count on being able to cut it with any traditional means.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. Kind of what I thought. I'm probably doomed on this one. The situation is that there is a piece of tempered glass already glued to this stone, so if I could cut through both and not shatter the glass, it would be a big plus. As is, I have to cut the shattered glass off of the back of the stone and it's a tricky cut I'd like to avoid. Sounds like there's little hope to avoid this one. I couldn't untemper the glass without shattering the stone so that's not an option either.

---
Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts