Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to cut shoe molding? A miter saw or a gullitine type cutter? I've always used a saw but the hand held guillitine cutters look like they could speed things up. Can you get an accurate miter with these? Is there a brand that works well or is the only way to get a quality miter on shoe molding is by using a saw?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
What do you use to cut shoe molding? A miter saw or a gullitine type cutter? I've always used a saw but the hand held guillitine cutters look like they could speed things up. Can you get an accurate miter with these? Is there a brand that works well or is the only way to get a quality miter on shoe molding is by using a saw?
The guillatine is a sweet piece of equipment. The Lion Trimmer is the best one I've used. I have a cheap knockoff from Woodworkers Warehouse, but it works great. They won't take of bulk stock, but for removing very small amounts of material it is great. The cut is so smooth, I wonder if it will take glue sometimes.

·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lone Framer. I looked up the lion trimmer online. It looks heavy. Is it still easier to carry this around a house installing shoe than going back and forth to the miter saw? Can you sharpen the blades or do you just replace them when they get dull.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Thanks Lone Framer. I looked up the lion trimmer online. It looks heavy. Is it still easier to carry this around a house installing shoe than going back and forth to the miter saw? Can you sharpen the blades or do you just replace them when they get dull.
They are very heavy compared to their size, I don't bring it from room to room, but it's handy to fine tune cuts, especially in a finished home where sawdust would be a problem. Set it up in a suitable workspace and let it be. It's more efficient than running outside to knock a light 1/16th off of a shoe. It's great for fine tuning door/window casings too, it's amazing how thin a shaving you can take off. I have tuned my blades up with a diamond grit sharpening stone.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I've not used a guitine, but I could see where it might work well in some situations.

As far as using a mitre box, adding an additional fence to close down the blade fence slot makes a huge difference for cutting small moulding pieces such as returns and such. It also works exceptionallly well for cabinet scribe mold. I used to add 3/8" x 3 1/2 plexiglass to all my ls1000, &1020 Makitas (about a dozen saws). Once screwed on, all you had to do was make a cut at each extreme angle to cut open the center slot. It was amazing how much better the cuts were, & also how much safer it was. You loose a little capacity, but for me it was worth it. We could still cut 4 1/4" crown on the 10" saw, & for anything bigger we just used our 15" Hitachi.
Joe

·
Registered
234 Posts
No short cuts to cutting shoe . I've found that a dedicated small miter saw that works back and forth easily is the best/fastest. Oh ,and a good copping saw.

Problem with shoe is ; No one wants to pay to have it put down,I think because it's small and the price should be small ,right ,wrong . It takes just as long to install shoe as base .

And don't get me going on builders ,a$$ holes

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
No short cuts to cutting shoe . I've found that a dedicated small miter saw that works back and forth easily is the best/fastest. Oh ,and a good copping saw.

Problem with shoe is ; No one wants to pay to have it put down,I think because it's small and the price should be small ,right ,wrong . It takes just as long to install shoe as base .

And don't get me going on builders ,a$$ holes
exactly right!!

i bought a little 18 volt ryobi chop saw... weighs nothing and a battery charge will cut all the shoe in a house! between that and a coping saw and a mini compressor, it's not a hassle to do stupid crap jobs like that.

oh yea... if you like the idea of the ryobi, make sure you get the one plus lithium battery and not the standard cheap one... huge difference! also don't expect to cut much more then shoe!!:no:

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
good timing! I've been thinking on getting a miter trimmer in the next two weeks or so. Got a baseboard job to do, and it will require shoe mould to cover the (huge!) gap between the wall and the snap together floor -
$190 bucks, but I don't know if I'll ever need it again after this one job.

·
Banned
356 Posts
What do you use to cut shoe molding? A miter saw or a gullitine type cutter?
Iuse a regular RYOBI Mitre saw but I keep my trusty little Hand Mitre box inside for little adjustments, and have found myself not going back outside and just cutting by hand as I go with this little gem... It is very accurate.
Durall-Eagle Yonkers NY No 618 Clamp-N-Saw Mitre Box

I bought a box like this at the flea market for 3 bucks and have made a lot of money with it. (CAN'T GET BOLD TO GO AWAY!)

Mrmac204, Just rent one from a Home Depot or Lowes.

MZ-HANDYMAN

·
Registered
451 Posts
The guillatine is a sweet piece of equipment. The Lion Trimmer is the best one I've used. I have a cheap knockoff from Woodworkers Warehouse, but it works great. They won't take of bulk stock, but for removing very small amounts of material it is great. The cut is so smooth, I wonder if it will take glue sometimes.
I went to the Lion Trimmer website and clicked on every one of the links they listed for places to buy one....and they all came back as "product no longer available", or "this page is no longer available". Anyone know if this tool is still made? Or better yet, why has virtually everywhere stopped carrying it?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I went to the Lion Trimmer website and clicked on every one of the links they listed for places to buy one....and they all came back as "product no longer available", or "this page is no longer available". Anyone know if this tool is still made? Or better yet, why has virtually everywhere stopped carrying it?
There's at least one on ebay right now

·
General Contractor
8,080 Posts
I don't own it yet, but I was on the job site and the guy was using Bosch 18 V 10" Miter Saw finishing up odds and ends in the house, so I tried to cut a few pieces of trim and that saw was real nice for doing shoe molding :thumbsup:

·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found the Bosch 18v miter saw for for $159.00 and the guillatine from grizzly tools for $145.00. They are both almost the same price. It makes me wish I could afford both of them. ....It sucks being a toolaholic. I want all of them. I guess i need to start charging more than three-fiddy for trim work.:eek:

·
Banned
356 Posts
I found the Bosch 18v miter saw for for $159.00 and the guillatine from grizzly tools for $145.00. They are both almost the same price. It makes me wish I could afford both of them. ....It sucks being a toolaholic. I want all of them. I guess i need to start charging more than three-fiddy for trim work.:eek:

Don't rush to get them and keep looking around, You'll find both of them for a good price eventually.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts