Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use to cut a new mig gun liner to length? I just slid in a new liner today and cant find anything to cut it with that will give me a nice clean cut...wire cutters were crap and just split the liner coil open but never really cut anything. Im thinking maybe a good pair of linesman pliers might have the strength but dont know. What do you suggest?

·
DPDT, Momentarily on
718 Posts
I wouldn't recommend cutting with pliers, you may crush the end and cause feed problems. I'd try a band saw or porta band and if that's not available a 4-1/2" angle grinder and a cut off wheel. Go easy, then deburr the inside when you're done.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the grinder crossed my mind when the pliers didnt work on the old liner (as a test) but the grinder seemed like overkill...but it would work. Just thought there was some type of tool that would just snip that off. Ive never had to replace a liner in any of my mig welders, but I guess after all these years one of them was bound to give out. Thanks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thats what Ive heard, everyone is always replacing liners all the time. Maybe mine needed it sooner but they always worked fine until now (wire wasnt feeding out the conductor tube). I hope this didnt start some trend now with my other welders, I have 3 migs too...I sure dont wanna have to do another liner. Its time consuming and a pain in the A** especially when it happens in the middle of a project.

Thanks for takin' a look at the the site

Hmmm.dremel..I like that idea.

·
DPDT, Momentarily on
718 Posts
Well, it could be worse. At one place I used to work we had to swap liners for 6 welders pretty regularly till they laid off the moron who was driving over them with the forklift.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
hmm.. never had a problem choppin them with a good pair of Klein side cutters, i replaced 6 liners yesterday. A cutting wheel does seem like it would work good if your cutters are dull.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've never had a problem cutting the steel liners with a thin cutoff wheel on an air die grinder. The teflon/plastic style I've always just cut with a wire cutter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was a production welder/ supervisor for 17 years. 30 mig welders and 28 robotic welders in my department. We changed out lots of liners and never had a problem using a good pair of welding pliers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
cutting mig liner

We always use a grinder and a cut off disc. push liner in and mark at gun end, pull out (allow for difusser), Cut deburr with disc and slide back in. It's not much harder than changing a spool of wire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts