Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
metal cutting

pgriz said:
We install aluminum shingles, and regular snips work very well. What gauge are you dealing with?
we are cutting 26 gauge with various rib patterns .we have 6 or 7 pair of snips but they are time consuming and leave burrs w/ some not so straight edges, we cut about 38 inches across and up to 10 feet or so during angle cuts

G

·
Bjd said:
Plasma Cutter? they make a real small unit for under $500.00
I think a plasma cutter will burn paint and i dont think you can use one outdoors because of wind blowing your gas away, we tried this a while back with not real good results.....but thanx for you help.

· Registered
438 Posts
No you do not use any gas, it air from a compressor or some even have them buit in, as fars as paint edges burning no not to bad at all. The one I have is adjustable for the materail thickness, cuts like butter through the real thin stuff without ant distortion or paint burning. I use it a lot for cutting through heating units jackets for repairs, after the repair I flange the panel back into the sapce it was before.
Body shops use them a lot for this reason, find a shop with one and take a peek at how they use them.

Bernie

· Registered
10,486 Posts
I have been thinking about doing my own roof and have been checking things out. The big companies use a special shear, most of them form their own panels on site too. All of the smaller guys seem to be using tin snips.
I have some samples and am considering an abrasive or diamond blade on a skill saw. I have also thought that laying the metal flat on a piece of plywood should kill a lot of the noise.
If I get around to trying this I will post the results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.