Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
I haven't done it, but I'm thinking you could score it with a carbide tile wheel, then tap the low piece gently with the back of a nail set. I would think it would break nice and clean. Then pry up the low piece.

If you give it a try, please report back the results!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Those tiles are 50 cents each. Why cut any of them?
edit; to answer your question I would cut with a diamond blade on my angle grinder with the shop vac hooked up.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No materials. I aint buyin shiat for this place. Sorry but they pissed me off and bought blank doors to hang, now i'm chiseling out hinges and (as always) they never hang right. Just spent $50 on tools because my chisels were damaged by a helper unknown to me until i got them outta the toolbag...

frustrating day, aAaargh

I need off this job. What should took an hour is now eating my profit margins on this one.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Tell the HO that you'll set the top, then retile their obama'd tile on the wall too.....

·
Registered
669 Posts
Spend a few bucks! take the bottom row of tile off, buy some UGLY pink/green/purple/chit, install it, and say "that looks fantastic, what do ya think?"

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I dress my chisels on my angle grinder in a pinch. hang in there, and learn a lesson on how you got porked, and how to prevent it from happening again.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Use a router for the hinges, much easier

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
i havent had to chisel out hinges in eons. thought everyone bought them ready to hang
Just curious, if it's a slab, how do they know how to cut the hinges and
bores?????

Or does a shop come out and measure and then you just pick-up and pin them???

Curious if different parts of the country work differently

Best

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I get em all drilled out normally . holes basically go in the same spot. I can pick em up even at home cheapo ready to hang.
Yes Drift.... I figured they were drilled/routed normally with holes basically/specifically going in the same spot....but who is the mill shop and how do they know the specs.

Drift.... I know it sounds stupid... but do you take the doors into HD, or call out your dimensions....... or do you take the old doors into a mill shop that works for HD?????

I've just never heard of a slab door coming ready to hang..... unless you call a carpenter/mill shop and ask them to do it for you....

Drift.... I'm not trying to be an AH..... I hang alot of slabs (several hundred +..area I do a lot of work in was production built with cheap ass flat panels)... and if I could order a pre routed/bore door.... I would sure like too. (Almost all remodels here call out new doors)

:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts