Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Remodeler
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam sure this has been ask before but here goes. Does anybody cut crown on the flat using the indents on the saw? Iam thinking maybe upside down and 45 is the way to go.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm a nested guy, but its whatever you prefer, and what size crown you have vs what you saw will cut nested.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I do both, if it's 6" crown I cut on the flat over a 2x6 with a 10" so I don't have to drag out the 12 slider. Or if the walls aren't perpendicular I cut on the flat to get the correct angle.

If it's 3-4" crown I'll nest it for quickness.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like nested with crown stops because if you lay flat you will have to cut a compound mitre and its hard to see your marks when the saw is jacked up like that
And the compound mitre isn't a 45 ,its like a 33 something that also makes it more difficult.

·
Remodeler
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. It seems nested is the way to go. I thought with these expensive saws with the angle and bevel stops,that was better., Guess it shows.,,,you can teach an old dog new tricks.....If he's willing to learn,, Thanks again:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It seems nested is the way to go. I thought with these expensive saws with the angle and bevel stops,that was better., Guess it shows.,,,you can teach an old dog new tricks.....If he's willing to learn,, Thanks again:thumbup:
TBH I didn’t do one nested cut of crown molding so far and I did over 10 000 cuts. Always compound cut and coping with jig saw.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I like nested with crown stops because if you lay flat you will have to cut a compound mitre and its hard to see your marks when the saw is jacked up like that
And the compound mitre isn't a 45 ,its like a 33 something that also makes it more difficult.
???? Compound bevel and miter depend at crown spring. I thought anyone know it.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts