Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 12 elliptical corners I made for 6 arched openings in a remodel I'm working on. These are a close match to an existing opening.

Took a few process pics. I started with 5x9" blanks of 1/2" ply. Traced the pattern and rough cut the curves with the band saw:

Attachments

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The middle of the sandwich is an L-shaped frame of a vertical 1x block and a horizontal piece of 1/2" ply. An extra backing block was added in the middle of the curve for a total of 5 pieces.

I did the glue up with the ends of the "L" extending beyond the points of the curves and trimmed them flush on the bandsaw the next day. I do the glue up over parchment paper (bakers wax paper) to keep from gluing stuff to my bench.

Will install them on Monday and get to rockin'...

Attachments

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I love the stuff you do Brian. Interesting and thought out.

You posting pics of the finished openings I hope?

I had an old timer show me some method of making ellipses with a board and 2 nails. Interesting, but for me I use my wide format mylar plotter to make any pattern I wish.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love the stuff you do Brian. Interesting and thought out.

You posting pics of the finished openings I hope?

I had an old timer show me some method of making ellipses with a board and 2 nails. Interesting, but for me I use my wide format mylar plotter to make any pattern I wish.
Thanks Sir,

There are plenty of other ways to do it, but this should work. The "arches" are flat-topped... so not true ellipses. I plan to use hot water on 1/4" rock to bend them. Will do the arches this week (and the bath, laundry, mudroom,etc).

Later,

Bass

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Looks like fun Bass

Glue and staples not ample for you?

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pseudo-elliptical arch gig got going this week. Installed the corner frames, and got to rockin'.

I found that 1/4" rock soaked with hot water would not bend that tight, so I scored the backs to get the bend.

Attachments

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The elliptical curve starts as a tight turn then flattens out. I scored for the bend on a graduated interval to match the curve. I did a gentle snap on each score line with the rip perched on a stack of scrap with a work table supporting the overhanging end. I also still got the piece wet too. I used PL Premium to deal with gluing wet rock.

I started at each end of the arch with two separate pieces of rock, overlapping them on the head and cut the overlap to splice. This eliminates the guess work on how long to cut the pieces with the bend. The rock is double layered and the second layer splice is off set from the first.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Lookin good Bass!

How long did you soak the back of the rock? I've found you have to give it a half hour dwell time to soak in..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Lookin good bass.

Im excited for the finished product, it should come out good.

Reactions: basswood

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lookin good Bass!

How long did you soak the back of the rock? I've found you have to give it a half hour dwell time to soak in..
I think in this case, the rock was old stock (slow economy and slow selling item) and had hardened. Stiff and brittle... defeats the purpose of using the stuff. I let is soak a while and used it as a "lid" on a bucket of hot water to keep it "steaming" in hot vapor.

Then I resorted to the scoring. This was such a tight radius (3") that even the flex bead did not want to bend it.

Made it work though.

Cheers,

Bass

1 - 20 of 45 Posts