Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

i need to cut this soapstone backsplash in place without damaging the countertop. It needs to be cut right at the line of the copper tile and white tile. I got a new range and need to remove the backsplash that is behind the range.
im looking for some ideas. I was thinking start with mini grinder with diamond blade then maybe multi tool. Soap stone is pretty soft. What do you got?
thanks.........nicko

·
Registered
Carpentry
215 Posts
I would not put a blade next to the copper or granite. Cut 1" in from copper and 1" up from granite with grinder, then chisel out the remaining 1" of tile or bang it out with hammer.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m not removing the white tile or the copper tile. I need to cut the soapstone back splash and remove it to let the new range push tight to the wall. I’m then going to remove the half pieces of copper tile and install new copper tile down to the top of the new range. The new range is a slide in and the controls are on the front of the range.

I fabricated the soap stone tops twenty years ago and you can router the edges with carbide router bits and sand them with an RO.

Nicko

·
Kowboy
2,265 Posts
Mask off a square blue tape line, have a helper hold a shop vac, pop the guard off the grinder with a diamond blade, and freehand it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mask off a square blue tape line, have a helper hold a shop vac, pop the guard off the grinder with a diamond blade, and freehand it.
That’s kind of what I’ve been thinking. I can only go so deep though before I would hit the countertop or tile. Then finish off with a multi tool. I’ll probably lay a thin piece of steel on the countertop and tape a small piece on the wall to avoid hitting the countertop or tile.

·
Registered
Counter top fabricator (solid surface)
18 Posts
That’s kind of what I’ve been thinking. I can only go so deep though before I would hit the countertop or tile. Then finish off with a multi tool. I’ll probably lay a thin piece of steel on the countertop and tape a small piece on the wall to avoid hitting the countertop or tile.
There is not enough room to be able to get a blade on an angle grinder in there and actually get a cut deep enough to help. A 3”or 4” diamond blade would be your only chance but then the head of your grinder will hit. Looks like your bar in the back is seamed. Heat the seam with a propane torch a bit and break the bond both sides and drop the bar, then you can get a bigger blade 6” in there and cut a heck of a lot more of that backsplash before you hit the copper. Score the surface at the top as close as you can get to the copper then break it out. As for the bar it may need to be trimmed lengthwise anyways depending on your model either way. Glue it back in. Careful that bar will be fragile.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Crack it with a hammer outside your line. Remove broken piece and cut it precisely. Glue back in place with CA or something.

(Tempting, isn't it?)

Here's a thought. Rough cut in center (freehand). Use robie's icing tool to cut silicone. Then pry it and simultaneously whack sharply with rubber mallet about an inch outside your line. That should crack it right about there. Then cut cleanly and glue piece back in place. Never tried it...but just thinking outside the box...

·
Registered
Custom
13,179 Posts
View attachment 511449

i need to cut this soapstone backsplash in place without damaging the countertop. It needs to be cut right at the line of the copper tile and white tile. I got a new range and need to remove the backsplash that is behind the range.
im looking for some ideas. I was thinking start with mini grinder with diamond blade then maybe multi tool. Soap stone is pretty soft. What do you got?
thanks.........nicko
Most standard ranges don't seat flat up against the wall and usually need an inch or so to allow for the cord and any other connections (gas)... you might to consider trying to place the range first to see if that's the case and it clears before cutting the backsplash...

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
Most standard ranges don't seat flat up against the wall and usually need an inch or so to allow for the cord and any other connections (gas)... you might to consider trying to place the range first to see if that's the case and it clears before cutting the backsplash...
most now need a filler in the back especially gas ranges with the valve in the back, and the outlet never being in the right place

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One blade held up? Nice. Which brand? Any water spray, or just dry?
One blade. Diablo. i just dry cut it with a shop vac nozzle taped to the countertop. Soapstone is soft compared to granite. You can router the edges with carbide router bits.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts