Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone told me bending azek with a heat blanket can cause problems..anyone have an idea what those problems would be?

i was told the best way is by using a jig saw..i would imagine you would have to sand the edges..do you hand sand or use an electronic sander?

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
for a circle or arch top id try to set up a trammel and a router
i don't no how to set it for an elipse but im sure theres a way

but i have done it with a jig saw too
if its a new window and i had the time i would probably just order a
fypon head

·
Registered
108 Posts
Awesome video, nEighter! Any idea how much that system is?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
for a circle or arch top id try to set up a trammel and a router
i don't no how to set it for an elipse but im sure theres a way
Try this. Determine the run and rise of the ellipse, add these numbers together and set two pins on your trammel. Now set your router bit center at the location where the rise and run measurements meet.
Now you need two guides set at 90 degrees of each other to glide the pins of the trammel along, they will need to extend at least as long as the two dimensions together. As you guide the pins along the jig, starting from a vertical position and ending in horizontal the router will follow an elliptical path.:thumbsup:

Reactions: Tom Struble

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have always used a router to cut elliptical shapes. Cutting an elliptical shape with a jig saw would just cause alot of unnecessary work. There is a video on Gary Katz's website about cutting elliptical shapes with a trammel arm. If you are cutting plain circles try the Arcus blade for a skil saw.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have used heat pads on quiet few occasions. They work really well except you need to get some experience with it. The problem is with setting up correct temperature for width and thickness. If you under heat - they won't mold easily and will buckle. If you over heated it you are running a risk of burning them. Another problem is to make a flat jig for them. Not a biggie but extremely important.
To eliminate any imperfections I run molded pieces through wood planer.

Unfortunately the are not cheap. 12' section runs for $1700-1900 and 20' around $3000

They are well worth it if you have enough job. I had one big contract that well paid for using those heat pads.
Molded trim cost above $150.00 per piece. Imagine doing it yourself for $15.00.

Hope it helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts