Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Interior Renovations
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys. I am remodeling a kitchen next week and need to lay 24" porcelain tiles on the floor. I have a small wet saw, nothing that can handle tiles this size. I called around to a few tool rental places and they say they have wet saws that would work up to an 18" tile. Can these saws be used to cut a 24"? Im thinking of using a score and snap tile cutter but would prefer a wet saw. Any suggestions on how else I could cut the tiles?

Thanks.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Cut part way, turned it around, cut other way. Sucks, but it's been the way of the tile setter with too small of a saw since the cavemen were setting 30" travertine in their caves.

It will get you by if you can't afford or can't find a big enough saw.

There is always the old lift up the end of the tile to get that last inch of cut at the end trick works sometimes too.

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
Four inch grinder with a diamond blade is a helluva lot cheaper if you don't intend to ever do this again.:thumbup:

Reactions: Floordude

·
Registered
434 Posts
For a one time job, what Bud said.

You can score them 1/3 to 1/2 way through, place a nail under each end on the score line, hold tight down on one side while smacking the other with your palm or a rubber mallet, should snap nice, these will give you somewhat of a rough edge, but hopefully all will be covered by moldings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts