Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was talking to a friend of mine, he's the director of public works for a local municipality. He asked me to submit a bid because they have had large gaps in bids. For example, last one was for approximately 300 square feet of dyed sidewalk. One bid came in at $4,800 and the other at $1,000.

The cutthroat contractors is what I deal with on a daily
Basis, even though my quality of work is night and day, what has everyone found best for dealing with these guys? It
Seems like most people care about saving money over quality of work.

·
General Contractor
8,112 Posts
Was talking to a friend of mine, he's the director of public works for a local municipality. He asked me to submit a bid because they have had large gaps in bids. For example, last one was for approximately 300 square feet of dyed sidewalk. One bid came in at $4,800 and the other at $1,000.

The cutthroat contractors is what I deal with on a daily
Basis, even though my quality of work is night and day, what has everyone found best for dealing with these guys? It
Seems like most people care about saving money over quality of work.
For a private job 300 SF @ $1,000 is the right price for new install without taking out existing. Doing job for Municipality where you have to pay prevailing wages,post a bond, and all the other BS that you deal with, $4,800 sounds about right.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I dont think doing the work yourself works down south. Your probably better off running a business not doing the installations. Maybe thats how your doing it I dunno, just saying what ive observed.

·
Balding quickly
954 Posts
For a private job 300 SF @ $1,000 is the right price for new install without taking out existing. Doing job for Municipality where you have to pay prevailing wages,post a bond, and all the other BS that you deal with, $4,800 sounds about right.
Really, doing public works isn't that much, usually you don't post a bond unless its over 25k, not to mention prevailing wage isn't that much higher, especially for small jobs. The $1000 bucks is probably just a good concrete guy with a helper, there 4500 is probably a 10 mil a year concrete company that bids 12 jobs a week and is scheduled for 3 months.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
it.s not so much letting the "cut throats" cut their own throats as much as not dealing with theprospective clients that would even consider their ridiculous offers
Exactly. My feeling is that they deserve each other....and a prospective client that hires a lowballer was never going to be my client anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts