Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So I just got my van a few weeks ago, its a 2002 Ford E250, I know not the newest or the best but I am just starting to take my business from a side business to a full time one, and am trying to keep cost down while I transition.

Currently I have a 12" x 24" magnet on my van with my company info, but its way to small for my liking.

Does anyone know where I can get cut vinyl lettering for my van without paying 9$ a letter plus shipping like some of the sites I have found.

I am located in Canada so that puts most of the major players in the US out of my reach (dont like paying 100$ or more to ship something).

So if anyone has a place they used for their vinyl lettering Id love to hear where you got it!

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Hey Guys,

So I just got my van a few weeks ago, its a 2002 Ford E250, I know not the newest or the best but I am just starting to take my business from a side business to a full time one, and am trying to keep cost down while I transition.

Currently I have a 12" x 24" magnet on my van with my company info, but its way to small for my liking.

Does anyone know where I can get cut vinyl lettering for my van without paying 9$ a letter plus shipping like some of the sites I have found.

I am located in Canada so that puts most of the major players in the US out of my reach (dont like paying 100$ or more to ship something).

So if anyone has a place they used for their vinyl lettering Id love to hear where you got it!
You'd be amazed at how cheap lettering can be if you just have somebody do it for you.

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I would definitely look for a really good deal on letting that will be on your truck, outside, 24/7 for somewhere around 4 years. What could go wrong.

Does no one have the guy pinstripe the whole truck when he letters it anymore? Back in the day I was paying 300 or so for 2 doors and some spaghetti all over it.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
If you have the graphic file ready it is cheap. If not, then you have to pay for that which is why it costs so much. I can get both doors done for 90 bucks or so installed and guaranteed, with my own graphic file.

·
Ink Slinger
158 Posts
I'd love to find a decent place too...I've installed them, but prices for lettering around here are all over the board, nearly $90 for 18x24 vinyl that I install...
Is that per piece or per pair?

This is a site that I am developing. I've been sending yard signs all over the country and guys have really started asking about vehicle graphics.

I offer a pair of 24x18 for $79.95. A pair of 24" x 24" is $99.95. A pair of 48" x 24" is $179.95. Prices quoted include basic design layout. It is all full color printed vinyl. I don't offer cut vinyl yet.

http://www.sign2day.com/category/products/customvinylgraphicswith-adhesive-back/

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
Is that per piece or per pair?

This is a site that I am developing. I've been sending yard signs all over the country and guys have really started asking about vehicle graphics.

I offer a pair of 24x18 for $79.95. A pair of 24" x 24" is $99.95. A pair of 48" x 24" is $179.95. Prices quoted include basic design layout. It is all full color printed vinyl. I don't offer cut vinyl yet.

http://www.sign2day.com/category/products/customvinylgraphicswith-adhesive-back/
Do you print it on a clear base (like on the truck?) I may be willing to make an order with ya!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I would definitely look for a really good deal on letting that will be on your truck, outside, 24/7 for somewhere around 4 years. What could go wrong.

Does no one have the guy pinstripe the whole truck when he letters it anymore? Back in the day I was paying 300 or so for 2 doors and some spaghetti all over it.
Yeah, I get that sometimes a deal isn't a deal...but "back in the day" prices have gone up, which is fine, but spending $400 to letter up his 2002 van (my trucks are '96-'02 trucks as well) doesn't always make sense...would I spend 25% of the truck's value in lettering, knowing that the tranny could puke next week? Budget doesn't allow a 'newer' vehicle currently, otherwise I'd be more apt to invest more in lettering :thumbup:

·
Ink Slinger
158 Posts
Do you print it on a clear base (like on the truck?) I may be willing to make an order with ya!
All prints are full color on white vinyl.

I can sample the color from your truck, reproduce that as the background color of sign and then it usually blends in pretty well. That is what is shown on the truck above.

The customer was very happy with the color match but he was even more tickled when he sold two jobs from the new signage within the first week.

Let me know before you place an order, I can get you a free shipping code. It saves $10.00.

There is no charge for basic sign design/layout.

·
1,745 Posts
doesn't always make sense...would I spend 25% of the truck's value in lettering, knowing that the tranny could puke next week?:thumbup:

For a little under $300 you could get yourself a cutter and some vinyl and do it yourself over and over. Plus your own yard signs. Roll vinyl is cheap.

I bought 8" cutter years ago and it has paid for itself tenfold. I use it for all sorts of things. Letter your office window. Things for friends for pocket change. You can get the vinyl for T-shirts and do you own shirts as well. I change the blade and cut paint masks also. These are just a few I things I do with my CNC cutter.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Frank Castle said:
For a little under $300 you could get yourself a cutter and some vinyl and do it yourself over and over. Plus your own yard signs. Roll vinyl is cheap. I bought 8" cutter years ago and it has paid for itself tenfold. I use it for all sorts of things. Letter your office window. Things for friends for pocket change. You can get the vinyl for T-shirts and do you own shirts as well. I change the blade and cut paint masks also. These are just a few I things I do with my CNC cutter.
Just beware of the cheap vinyl, we did a few on our own and the sun had them faded and peeling of the truck in a couple of years.

·
Registered
902 Posts
For a little under $300 you could get yourself a cutter and some vinyl and do it yourself over and over. Plus your own yard signs. Roll vinyl is cheap.

I bought 8" cutter years ago and it has paid for itself tenfold. I use it for all sorts of things. Letter your office window. Things for friends for pocket change. You can get the vinyl for T-shirts and do you own shirts as well. I change the blade and cut paint masks also. These are just a few I things I do with my CNC cutter.
Mind = Blown... what brand do you have? For $300-500 I'd almost be insane not to get my own, spend some of these dark winter nights making up some new signs as practice, and then try out the truck...now you have me thinking...though admittedly I don't mind the thought of a full color single sticker for the ease of installing it/removing it later on...

·
1,745 Posts
Mind = Blown... what brand do you have? For $300-500 I'd almost be insane not to get my own, spend some of these dark winter nights making up some new signs as practice, and then try out the truck...now you have me thinking...though admittedly I don't mind the thought of a full color single sticker for the ease of installing it/removing it later on...
http://www.rolanddga.com/products/cutters/stika/

I've got the Roland STX-8. Looks like they don't make that model anymore. My cutter was about $300 when I got it 10 years ago. Looks like the new models come with a little higher price tag. I've seen some others on e-bay for less than $200.

Just beware of the cheap vinyl, we did a few on our own and the sun had them faded and peeling of the truck in a couple of years.
Yes, there are different grades of vinyl. Some made to last 2 years, some made to last 10 years. Some colors fade faster than others as well. Pay a little more, it lasts a little longer. With a little research you can figure out what works best for your needs.

I'm not a sign maker nor do I want to take business from someone. I'm sure a sign guy has forgotten more info on vinyl than I know about it.

Buying a cutter just worked for my needs. Now I use it for all kinds of stuff.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts