Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some spare time today, and a neighbor offered me my normal rate to take down two trees he's been worrying about. So I fired up the old Stihl and took 'em down, no problem.

But. Whaling and flailing at de-limbing, with the saw getting heavy because I haven't done that sort of thing for a while... I finished a cut and let the saw drop. Right onto my leg. :eek:

All praise to the man above and his minions who watch over me. I had let go of the throttle and the chain was all but stopped. Don't let your guard down, guys!

Attachments

·
Banned
917 Posts
Had some spare time today, and a neighbor offered me my normal rate to take down two trees he's been worrying about. So I fired up the old Stihl and took 'em down, no problem.

But. Whaling and flailing at de-limbing, with the saw getting heavy because I haven't done that sort of thing for a while... I finished a cut and let the saw drop. Right onto my leg. :eek:

All praise to the man above and his minions who watch over me. I had let go of the throttle and the chain was all but stopped. Don't let your guard down, guys!
I've got a nice little scar in about the same place from a chainsaw. I was 15? and rancher hands me a chainsaw (never used one before) and tells me to make slash piles. Then he walks off and leaves me miles out in the woods by myself. Not wanting to look like a sissy or lose the job I went back to work when it quit bleeding. Scared the living hell out of me though.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then he walks off and leaves me miles out in the woods by myself.
Good lord, what a douchebag. I'm all for starting kids young, but that young I'd never hand a chainsaw, let alone walk away. I know people who won't let their 14 year olds run a lawnmower. :rolleyes:

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts

Forget the scars.. bro, you're in a need of some tannin :shutup:

·
Banned
917 Posts
Good lord, what a douchebag. I'm all for starting kids young, but that young I'd never hand a chainsaw, let alone walk away. I know people who won't let their 14 year olds run a lawnmower. :rolleyes:
Well I know I hadnt turned 16 (maybe I was 14, thats when we got our drivers liscenses) because thats when I left home. He was one tough SOB, had a tree fall on him, screwed him up good but still worked like a dog. Ahh the good ol' days. Not.

·
Banned
846 Posts
Chainsaw chaps are good for preventing that kind of thing.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Hmmm, that'll make me think twice the next time I fire up to do some tree trimming around the house in dungaree cutoffs.:blink:

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,309 Posts
Dumb a$$ :laughing::blink:

Glad you're OK.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Forget the scars.. bro, you're in a need of some tannin :shutup:
Them's farmer legs, yuh whippersnappers! Haybales, briars and brambles soon teach you to protect that precious skin. Besides, if you saw a pic of me in shorts, you'd know why I don't wear 'em. :laughing:

Chainsaw chaps are good for preventing that kind of thing.
So's fear, and that's served me well through many a cord of wood. Complacency is the evil demon.

Hmmm, that'll make me think twice the next time I fire up to do some tree trimming around the house in dungaree cutoffs.:blink:
I now have a pair of half-cutoffs I'll let you have for a very reasonable sum.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Lucky boy!! Had a guy working for me years ago who had his chainsaw kick back into his face. ( not while working for me ) Anyway, his nickname was "caveman" 'cause that's what his face looked like. Nice guy though.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts