Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Anybody can tell me how better cut mirror already glued on the wall. Need to cut 3' strip from the bottom, as have higher cabinets.
If using grinder what blade I should use, any other hints.

Tx to all
Vic

·
Banned
39 Posts
I wouldn't try cutting a mirror, especially one glued to the wall. Bust it out and start over. Safety glasses and gloves mandatory.
RJS

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
About the only way to do this is to take the mirror down before it gets cut. If it is glued you can use some piano wire, high pound test fishing line or something similar to slide it back and forth behind the mirror and down the wall to cut it lose.

Then take the mirror to a glass shop and have them cut it.

Before I did anything like I just mentioned, I would remove the old mirror and install a new one. But if you have your heart set on saving it, that's how I would do it.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
That reminds me of a service call I got to add another receptacle in the bathroom. They had one on the right hand side of the basin, and wanted another on the left. One problem.... mirror across the whole vanity from the backsplash to the ceiling. I drew a rectangle on the mirror and told the customer that when they get someone to cut that rectangle out, I'll be back. Sure 'nuff, about a week later, I got a phonecall that the rectangle was cut out. I guess they called a glass man, because it was cut out very cleanly. I should have asked them what he used.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,833 Posts
Use a die grinder with a diamond blade. When you cut, do it with a climing motion. That is, cut with the rotation of the blade. If you can keep the tool steady you should get a clean cut, if not you'll have smaller pieces to cart away:cheesygri .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks all, guys (and girls?)
I just want to save time/money cutting old mirror, all this is just for resell. Though someadvices looks like in live: <you have a problem, I'll give a super advice - hire a lawer>.
I want to get this mirror get done, at least make a good try.

Thanks Leo for optimistic support about grinder, maybe anybody can suggest some hints how to do it better, put tape on cutting line, water ? I have 12K rpm, will buy tomorrow some blade.
I don't have space for popup, this is really a biggest problem.
I don't need clear cut, as can istall trim.

Will try on Th 11am.

Best to all
Victor

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,833 Posts
dainova said:
Thanks all, guys (and girls?)
I just want to save time/money cutting old mirror, all this is just for resell. Though someadvices looks like in live: <you have a problem, I'll give a super advice - hire a lawer>.
I want to get this mirror get done, at least make a good try.

Thanks Leo for optimistic support about grinder, maybe anybody can suggest some hints how to do it better, put tape on cutting line, water ? I have 12K rpm, will buy tomorrow some blade.
I don't have space for popup, this is really a biggest problem.
I don't need clear cut, as can istall trim.

Will try on Th 11am.

Best to all
Victor

Well???? What happened? :thumbup: or:cry:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sucess story

Hi, All
Thankx for all you input, I found out that bottom of mirror was not glued so I was able to make some space for popup putting some thin plywood strip under lower edge and get some half inch for popup. I risked breaking it but it survived.
Then the pro glass guy came and make it cut, though in 2 pieces in length as it was 100'' long, I still use metal rail at the bottom so it's not problem.

Sorry for delay, too many overheads....

Tx to all again.

Victor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts